Need Help with Lam Sched

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by BoatExchange, Aug 14, 2015.

1. BoatExchange

BoatExchange New Member

I would like some help coming up with a laminate schedule for a 20' Flat bottom skiff. I plan to use 1708 trip-axle stitched on the hull/deck, 3/4 oz matt, and 3208 on the transom. I am looking for suggestions for a lam schedule of how you would lay it up or what you would use differently. Thanks in advance.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Let me guess, you have a mold, but little else? Laminate schedules are based on loads and these are directly related to speed targets and equipment, with usage needs and safety margins tossed in for good measure.

If you want a laminate schedule, you'll need to be a lot more specific about your requirements. It's a bit like saying, you are building a car, have an engine and want to know what the wheelbase length should be, for the home made chassis.

The logical course of action would be to find out the original spec's for the boat, possibly from the designer or maybe from the last owner of the mold or boatbuilder. Short of this, you'll have to have a schedule made up or lastly, you can just guess at it. If you have considerable experience laying up 20' flat bottom skiffs, the guessing stuff shouldn't be very far off. Since you're asking, I'll guess you'll need someone to do one up for you.

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

what style construction - sandwich foam core, stitch and glue ply, straight glass.

I built my 22' scooter boat as sandwich foam core 5/8 core cell with 7 layers of stitched 12 0Z Biax on each side for hull and deck had only 3 layers each side. I didn't have any scantlings, just some help from people on here ... so far it's holding up well and I don't baby it.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.