The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Its the end of the world as we know it... Still its good that we can get some work done

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ja -- any hits on your hull--passed on the info to a guy from down the coast--(Graham B.)he's looking for a hull to build into power yacht ---promoted it as a tugboat yacht style hull ---Geo.

3. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Nothing yet mate but I have not been trying to hard. You can pass him my number if you like or if you swing the deal let me know. Sunny again today “its all good” cant wait to go sailing. John

4. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Thanks for the lead Geo the fellow phoned me and talked himself out of it within 2 minutes of conversation. He seemed a bit confused on some things but very certain that he didn’t like the hull shape (I am not really sure why he called). I have it advertised at a reduced price on Kijji for some lucky bugger. Thanks anyway mate and good luck with your project John…

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Scunthorp,
    what type, size, hull do you have? I am comitted to the hull I'm refitting, but I'd be happy to noise it around to any interested parties I may encounter

6. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

I have a 28 foot Polish lifeboat hull. 8 foot beam with a rounded stern( there are photos posted here and on Kijjij Halifax) She is solid fiberglass and very strong. Cheers John...

7. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Bardzja dobzha (spelling horible, but means very good in polish)

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Just an update-boat is tucked away for the winter. Work will progress in the beginning of june after we have preped. and opened the B&B for the season. From june on it should be continious with only short interruptions completing a big. reno. project for a customer from California. There will be lots of photos and discussion when I can finally get into it on a regular time schedule. Non stop for the next 1 to 2 yrs. until launch time. Meanwhile the never ending tradeoff's in design continue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Update-- been very busy earning boat money while the apples are ripe. Meanwhile getting extra professional overview and re design if necessary on the whole build concept before proceeding to a point of no return. Re start time is now re scheduled for late Aug. ----Geo.

10. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Update -- After considerable debate, considering the pros and cons of the modified foil long keel / skeg and taking into account my planned crusing grounds( Newfoundland, Labrador in addition to Nova Scotia) I have given up my quazi high teck keel design folly and listened to the good pratical advise of the designer. While it was possible to go with the modified foil long keel /skeg combo it was not pratical being more susceptiable to damage due to groundings in unchartered gunkholing coves or haulouts for repairs in remote locations. So it's to be a standard very strong full keel setup with an extended shoe under the prop to house the lower bearing of the rudder shaft while at the same time a deflector for ropes and protection for the prop. It was a hard decision to make as I had spent so much time studying and building foils and experimenting with how to modify the existing keel to allow their attachment. Oh well better now than later --Possibly next time, on my Americas cup challenge :D. Maybe all was not lost as possibly someone out there will follow the basic foil construction as I have posted and play with the idea. Over the next month I will get back at the keel and post photos as I proceed ---Geo

11. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

My Lifeboat has gone to a great young builder and I got my money back out of it. I have bought an Albin Vega 27 and have been sailing her hard. I have come up on a stability question though and was woundering if the good old boys had some thoughts. So here we go

The suggestion of changing from iron to lead ballast on an Albin Vega 27

If we went to the trouble of changing the existing ballast to lead on an Albin Vega 27. The centre of gravity (CG) of the total ballast could be lowered about 9 cm (3 1/2"). This could be useful for those seeking head room or storage.

The centre of gravity of the whole boat in cruising trim 2800 kg or 6175 lbs is lowered about 25 mm (1").

Is that significant? Well it would be a lot of work. I changed the ballast on my previous sailboat a Halman 20 from steel punchings to lead and although it made the boat stiffer but her performance suffered.

What does this mean in terms of increased stability when sailing. In the drawing taken from the original owners manual the amidships section of VEGA is shown heeled at 20°.

The length of the righting arm is 32cm (121/2") and the righting moment is consequently 896 kg (6500 ft. lbs).

With the new lower centre of gravity (lead) The righting arm would be increased by 9 mm 3/8" that it.

Heeling at 30° the increase would be 12,5 mm (1/2") and the righting moment to 921 kg

This is an increase of 25 kg (180 ft. lbs) or 2.8%.

Important to note the manual states that the same increase in righting moment can be achieved by increasing the weight of the boat by 75 kg (165 lbs) or by moving one person weighing 80 kg (176 lbs) a distance of 31cm (1 ft.) to windward. Allowing a light boat for the bay sailor interested in winning races and providing reserve ballast to be used by the long-distance cruiser or family sailor.

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

John thats great news on the sale of your lifeboat. The young gaffer will certainly have fun with it all. Regarding your info/enquirey on changing from iron to lead ballast on the Vega, I think you would get much more feedback if you posted it under the the Stability heading on the forum as possibly very few visitors come here.This thread has been inactive for awhile while I was getting my engineering and life's chores (earning boat funds)sorted out enough to get back on the build. This I am happy to say is only a week or so away. Thanks for the "Drop By" --- Geo.

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Well I just happened to look in to what was happening and found this question......

Which you've already answered for yourself.....the dog wandering around the deck will have more effect.....very few will notice the effect of one extra person on the boat, six extra...yes, but not one.

In real life you will not notice any difference in boat handling after all this work.

14. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Thanks Tad that confirming what I thought. The argument was articulated by the designer over 30 years ago. It is of significant advantage to have this diversity when it comes to ballast and it makes a lot of sense to me. It is good to hear some quality advice and an alternative view point even if as in this case you have concurred. Cheers John

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well the big day finally arrived -- some 2 yrs. later than I origionally planned but never the less we're back at it. This past week I moved her from the sheltered unheated -unequipped-- car bay into the larger, heated, fully equipped fabrication bay. Made larger by moving my tablesaw and a few more big tools into the underutilized small tool and misc. storage room which is actually the left bay of the three bay set up. The shop(photo last winter, with the homebuilt landyacht ) by the way was built using slightly scaled down plans of a horse barn and proved out to be an excellent design.Anyhow a few photos of the move. I fastened a mobile home axil and wheels to the stern end of the hull making moving it a breeze. Simply move it around as if it were a trailer.In this case moved by a small excavator(bottom photo) payed for with the barter system. I had an extra woodstove they wanted (plus 6 beer which I had to help them drink). My next decision -- I am having second thoughts on the keel design again. Someone, not mentionong any names just yet, designed up a beautiful full keel -- got me hooked then just to punish me played into my love of the long keel/cutout/skeg combo. Thats just like waking up at 20yrs. old on Daytona beach during march break. ---- Next post the choices offered and decision time. AARRrrrrrr

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >