Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding

Old 07-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Wood Butcher

Rep: 2489 Posts: 5,312
Well, Geo., you know time and tide wait for no man. It is a disappointment not to see the project arrive at completion, but it has been entertaining to follow the work and a privilege to see the craft in person.

Now tell us about the sailboat so that I, at least, can pick up some knowledge as the missus wants me to get a sailboat and I am very ignorant in that regard.

Enjoy life.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Wood Butcher

But I thought you had done with the most difficult part.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 PM
VINLAND

Rep: 1146 Posts: 1,864
First of all Thank You Hoyt for all your past support on the project and while time and tide wait for no man what they don't tell you is the measurement and effect go from linear to logarithmic
Old 07-07-2016, 02:45 AM

Rep: 933 Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking north View Post
As many of you probably suspected i've been slowing down on my build. For the past 6 months i personally have been slowing down and reality has finally kicked in. While at a young 72yrs. i'm not exceeding old, it's old enough to trigger a wake up call to make the best of what years are remaining. I have decided to shut down the project and enjoy sailing verses building with the hopes i can find someone to continue the dream. To all of those who have followed, posted, i give my deepest thank you for your help, encouragement and kind words. I especially want to thank the hard work and patience of the Forum Management and Moderation for the privilege of allowing me to post my project. However let me be clear i'm not that easy to get rid of as i fully intend to post my two cents worth now and again On behalf of the "Nancy G" Project Thanks again All --Geo.
Sorry to hear that - I quite enjoyed reading about your progress. However, I understand your position. I hope to finish my boat within the next 12 months, and I'll never build another one, even though I could do it faster & better the second time around. I'll be quite happy with what I've built, and go sailing.

I just agreed to buy another, somewhat different, controllable pitch propellor/gearbox though. Curiosity and weakness for interesting mechanical devices, I'm afraid. Not likely to ever be fitted to anything by me, though.

PDW
Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 AM
Yacht Designer/Builder

Rep: 3967 Posts: 17,962
I'm in a unique position on this one, wishing for a completed project, but also the best for my friend, so I perfectly understand the situation. I guess the question now is, who's going to get this kick butt, fin keel lifeboat now. I'll bet George can find a younger version of himself up there, as they seem to breed more so than other places in the world. These Nova Scotian guys are a hearty lot, inventive, frugal and determined.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:07 AM
VINLAND

You guys make it hard not to continue the "labour of love" which i'm hoping will be softened somewhat by finding the right person to pass it on to plus of course a new mistress in the form of a Hullmaster 27. I will keep updates on this post as it all unfolds. Thanks again --Geo.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Wood Butcher

Tell us please about how you winterize the Hullmaster 27.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:31 PM
VINLAND

Hello all, just a short post to wish everyone the best of the Season. Been extremely busy renovating the B&B and will continue to do so for another year. Figured I best do it now before i got so dam old and lazy it would ever get done which would greatly reduce it as an asset for the next stage in life. I came into the ownership of a Herreshoff 18 cat boat which Is now in my shop in prep to be converted into a inboard powered run about. I will be posting a thread on this in a month or so. It came with all the standing rigging and two sails.One near 70% of it's life the other in like new condition. Both are for sale if anyone is in the market. (Will post on "Items for Sale")
Hoyt you must have a spy here? I am about 2 months behind on everything and winterizing the Hull Master being one. I did winterize the engine and bilge before frost but never quite completed tarping her over. I have the frame about 50% completed and should have it covered within the week. Mother nature has been very kind, mostly snow free above freezing days and presently no snow on the ground. The present engine in the 27 is a raw water cooled diesel so it was just a simple matter of disconnecting the raw water intake hose, sticking it into a gallon of RV (plumbers)antifreeze and firing her up until the pink stuff exited the exhaust into a catch bucket. Regarding the bilge, using a wet vac I simply sucked out about a quart of bilge water and replaced it with a quart of RV antifreeze. I will keep an eye on any water accumulation and repeat the process if it exceeds a gallon. I don't actually expect any to accumulate but best to be sure to avoid a frost split keel shell. Many keel boats have a removable bronze plug down at the bottom of the bilge and you simply unscrew and remove it when the boat is on the hard. Thankfully the 27 doesn't or if it did I would glass it over prior to each launch. This is one thru hull that is definitely "Not my cup of tea". Anyhow Hoyt I will post a few photos in the next couple of weeks. Just noticed the building supply store is about to close and i have to get a supply on order for delivery tomorrow otherwise production comes to a screaming halt. Again Best of the Season to everyone ---Geo.