The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You do have to be careful of this technique, as you can lighten and dramatically weaken the pieces. I do this all the time with wood and alloys alike. The plate on the bottom of the second image looks to have been weakened considerably, though in this application, not as big a concern. I have specific formulas as to how much to cut away and where for this sort of thing, if interested. It's a sin you didn't have access to a dimple die setup for plate that thick. Really stiffens things up, while removing weight.

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Yes I had second thoughts after I made and saw the size of those cutouts but like wet paint I just had to do it :D Now with your observations I think i'll re make the base and definitely forward the dimensions for your directions. Don't know what got into me just went plasma crazy :) All those flashy sparks Ha Ha . What is shown there so far weighs 171/2 lbs. so I think we'll be ok as per the estimated skeg weights on those sketches. Thanks Paul.

Follow up --After some exchange of dimensional information my wise designer ok'd cutting away the section 1 in. forward of stn. #14's keel bolt holes which eliminated a unnecessary piece of stainless along with it's lightening hole. That plus filling in parts of another large cut out lightening hole solved any weakness problems providing I promised not to go crazy with the plasma again. Not having to re fabricate this base plate made that an easy YES. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

The Fun And The Pain

The first photo might show why one tended to over do the lightening hole idea by continuing the process in earnest, from the vertical webs to the base plate. Where really it was just a spark of an idea. ;) (FUN) The next photos show the filling in of those BIG lightening holes,(PAIN) Kind a went overboard didn't I :), however as I preached some pages pack, we all make mistakes, just take the time and patience to correct them. You'll be repaid in a quality build. Another sermon from pages back and i want to stress the importance again -- Please Please wear a filter mask when grinding stainless -- viewing those little saddle like burs of cuttings under a microscope will make your lungs quiver in fear, and beg you to do so. Ok back on track the remaining photos show the assembly tack weld and trial fitting on the bench. Note, the end of the base plate cut off approx. 1 in. forward of holes for stn. # 14 keel bolt pair. It was not necessary as it accommodated no fasteners. It is important that the height of the webs be as accurate as possible. I.E. that the top plates be snug to the underside of the skegs fiberglass shell. This needs to be so as the skegs shoe/bottom rudder support is thru bolted into these top plates. Any amount of space here would place compression stress on the FRP shell. Further fine tuning of any voids here can be compensated for by shims as I will point out later in the process. Next -- trial fitting on the hull.

Attached Files:

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Just say no to the plasma cutter George . . . :)

5. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Looking great George as you say “it is not the mistakes that we make but how we recover from them which makes us craftsmen”. Thanks for you electrical genius on the weekend I am certain that I could never have figured out that wiring birds nest without your insight and knowledge.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Looks great. Hope to see it before too long.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

No prob. JC, glad to return favours. There is more we can do there to simplify that set up but best not to get into it now just before putting her in for the season. We'll have another go at it in the fall.
    Hey Hoyt --times a flyin, looking forward to your visit --- Geo.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I was a good boy today Paul --didn't even turn Mr. Plasma on, learned my lesson well :D. Today I did a trial fitting of the weldament assembly on the hull and make good use of the split skeg shell. As seen on first photo the top piece on center web needed a slight adjustment but other than that it turned out fairly accurate. With the whole assembly bolted in place I proceeded to measure bend and cut, stn. #14 keel bolt pair and the remaining pieces of the weldament ready for welding and completing the whole assembly tomorrow. I have a fire safety shop rule , I try not to weld after 3:00 in the afternoon unless I plan on working that evening. This allows a fire watch time to pass while I am still in the shop.

Attached Files:

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Today the final work on the skeg weldament/keel bolt assembly. I added pieces of roundstock on each web to help transfer the fastener loading of the future skeg shoe/lower rudder bearing bracket down thru the individual webs to the base plate. Other than bedding the whole assembly in a thin layer of bog and torquing it down this is, finally a permanent build back attachment. I'm 9lbs. over on the estimated weight but saved 5 lbs. on reducing the skeg's size. So far close on the estimated weights but the truth will be told on the final fabrication of the Shoe and it's associated parts. So Paul, don't plug the all numbers in just yet :). Next posting work on the skeg shell and shoe.

P.S. Something I forgot to mention and some out there are probably asking why I didn't weld on a full length top piece on the webs instead of three individual short stubs. The reason being, the ballast/cavity filler, resin mixture will be installed thru cut outs in the bottom of the skeg FRP shell while the hull is still inverted. A continuous one piece top plate would have blocked the access.

Attached Files:

10. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I really appreciate the care and thoroughness and patience you exhibit.
    I don't feel bad that MY project is taking SO long! :)

11. hoytedow

It is good to take the long view rather than rush and ruin.

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ha Ha, Guys the truth be told, I'm just getting too old and picky to rush. One big driving factor is the encouragement and support received from Forum Members such as yourselves. Thank You, I really appreciate the feedback.
    Speaking of "Yourselves"( a little Irish Newfinese) You both have build projects on the go. Any new photos?? ---

13. hoytedow

No new photos just yet. I am re-thinking some design features, such as hard vs. soft chines and whether foam composite is worth the extra expense vis à vis plywood for a boat that will probably end up as a garden feature when I give up boating.

14. hoytedow

Speaking of Irish will I have any border issues with bringing in a flowerpot of shamrock?

15. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I try something, then change my mind (cause didn't work as expected, or I had a better idea, or more often, WIFE didn't like it), so rip it out, try something else.
    When I'm finished, I'll post pix of what became permanent. That way I don't appear fumbling in the dark! :D

< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >