The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, you guessed it, I'm assembling the strong back this afternoon. Have to cull some plywood pieces, which makes me cry, as I can't part with a 9"x12" piece for the life of me. Low 70's, but workable . . .

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Slow But Sure Progress

Again the key is getting set up, once I arranged scaffolding that allowed me to stand and work life got a lot easier. I have progressed about 75% down along one side(stb.) of the original keel to hull intersect area (keel root)removing the gel coat about 6 inches out onto the hull. It has taken about 10 hrs. including setting up scaffolding. The other little trick of the trade was keeping the chisels sharp and sharp they must be to make the job less difficult. I found that a chisel will stay sharp for about an hour so while working with #1, I devised an automatic sharpening set up using a combo of Vice Grips and a bungy cord to sharpen #2.

Attached Files:

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

More Progress

Today I exerted the old body a little extra and completed peeling the gelcoat off the original keels bottom. Next task is to re set the scaffolding and remove the gel coat from the Port side where the original keel meets the hull (root) in the same manner as was done on the STB. side. Once this is completed a little sanding over this stripped area to remove any loose laminate and I'm ready to install the keel bolts.

P.S. Note the phone is always kept close, I just hate that mad rush down the ladder, across the floor, grab the phone, just to speak to a "call center" on the other end. My response kills chances gettting thru the pearly gates plus I have to climb back up that dam ladder again. :mad:

Attached Files:

4. PAR

George, the next time you get one of those calls, don't say a word, just hit 9 buttons in a row as fast as you can, count to yourself 5 seconds and do it again. Do this 3 times and the automated call center will think you're a fax machine and automatically remove you from their call list.

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Too bad those faux fax tones didn't activate rather than de activate :p but by "jumpins" I'm gonna give that a go.

6. PAR

I have a small cassette recorder next to the phone now, so when I see one of these numbers I pick it up and just playback a real fax tone set. I also have an old dialup modem sound on it too, if the fax doesn't work.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

The other problem I ran into was with the fax machine. We were getting so many full page detail monochrome and coloured advertisements, (mostly cruise ship and Florida) travel packages it was costing me a fortune in ink cartridges. I solved that one by cancelling my fax number and getting an unlisted one. While fax is now on it's way out there are still alot of fax communications.
    Speaking of comms. did the pony express arrive with the package ?

8. PAR

No, they apparently have been hit with budget restraints and now are on cantankerous mules, which by necessity have to be at least 15 years old, before they can purchase them.

This is a good thing actually, as I'm up to my *** in things to do. I have a boat show this weekend, where I'll be taking a client, a few last minute repair and finish requests for this show, a custom design, a retro fit, a new build, repairs the to the rental house (the ******** tore the place up), plus a few other things up this week. When it rains . . .

To top it all off it's going to be cold for the next couple of days, testing my old bones. Hell, we're barely reach the mid 60's tomorrow, maybe I'll break out the long johns for one more run . . .

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

No schedules on this end --just hoping they make it to you. I've got enough to keep me busy for two months, maybe three after this winter northeaster hits tomorrow. Forecast 120K winds with up to 45cm snow. Hows that for spring in the north east. Just went thru that tenant leaving a mess routine. Took us a week to clean up the apartment and put everything back in order. In addition to the boat work i'm picking away at a new sun room addition plus getting the B&B geared up. One step at a time , one step at a time --:)

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Tenants can be a nightmare.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

You got that Hoyt, the last two leases, both young men, that rented the apartment were so dirty we decided not to rent the apt. long term (year min.)anymore. New policy,only by the week/month. That gives us the option of ending the lease after a month if the tenant is not owning up to their responsibilities. In both cases it took us a week of steady cleaning to get the place back up to our standards. In the second case I still have some wall spackling and painting to do. On the other hand after 16yrs. with the B&B we have not so much as a towel taken or a scratch of damage.
    Speaking of damage in this case "positive damage" how is the torturing of wood into a vessel progressing. PAR(Paul) has been keeping me so "good" busy in our quest that he has the correct info to turn my surfboat into an America's cup challenger, i've been selfish and not paid attention to others builds. :D

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

60F --I wish, Bayside--Shag Bay --Nova Scotia --today. 6hrs. ago the earth was bare. Forcast 120 to 140K (70 to 85MPH) winds 25 to 45cm.(10 to 20in.)snow

Attached Files:

13. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I feel you on that George just had my shop flattened by a tree about 4am this morning the highest gust I noted was 148kph so not far from what your going through.... watch out for old firs their gravitationaly inclined ....your project there is looking great btw.

14. hoytedow

I am now pondering using closed foam in place of wood, except at the transom where I have more faith of wood when it comes to stresses from the outboard. Tell the weatherman it is supposed to be springtime. It is cold here today as PAR can attest.

15. hoytedow

Sorry, JLIMA, that your tree harvested itself onto your shop. I hope you didn't lose any tools. Now get your chainsaw and make some boat lumber.

< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >