The "NANCY G" a surfboat /lifeboat to motorsailer conversion build in progress

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by viking north, Feb 11, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Robin as I have indicated in a PM to you (condensed version) I think a 50ft. two story version of your idea is reasonably doable, However at 100ft. unless you are super rich, forget it, the engineering costs alone would ruin your day. As I also have indicated in my PM i'm not the correct person you should be communicating with and if I were you, having a preliminary concept chat with one would be my next move.

P.S. wasn't there a thread some time back where you presented this project ??

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

The Dreaded Fiberglass Sanding. Actually once I got everything all set up the sanding wasn't all that bad. Like many other dreaded tasks the key is getting organized.The heavy down draft exhaust set up worked great and the 40 grit paper on the big Metabo ROS and the pneumatic stroke sander did a fairly fast job. I am wearing ear protection as the big 6 in. exhaust system using the corrugated Big O hose howled like a fog horn. It will still require a little glass work at the aft end, some minor filling ,final finish sanding and this baby is ready to pop off the mold.

Attached Files:

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Viking. tell us about your new avatar and post it bigger for these tired old eyes, please. Is it the same Nancy G you are working on?

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Hoyt, I was about to reply to your build post which I will do "post haste" :). Re my postage stamp, It's not the Nancy G but a big 19 ft. Newfoundland Motor Dory that I acquired from an old dory builder Albert Parsons, whose shop was but a stones throw away from mine on the "Rock". She was set up for lobster fishing and had a new Acadian 3 HP make & break "One Lunger" or as we used to call them a Puck Au Pucks. Nancy & I converted her into a neat little motorsailer adding a 300lb. lead keel and a cabin just big enough to sleep in. The engine house is just forward of the helm. That stainless pipe piercing it's roof is the muffler and exhaust extension piece. As typical for NFLD dories the spruce frames are natural grown, cut from the roots of trees. Generally one big spruce tree would supply the frames, the bottom and hull planking. The year is 1980 "I was so much younger then I'm older than that now" :D And yes that is a nice drink of rum i'm holding :D

Attached Files:

5. hoytedow

Thanks for the larger image. It will be a treat to see in person.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

She was a good old boat, we had a lot of fun with it but now like my youth long gone :mad: (sad). Which reminds me we need a sad face.

7. hoytedow

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You want a sad face . . . My Azalea is budding George. The poor, pitiful one the dogs pee on a few times a day. It has 10 leaves, but 3 dozen buds. I don't know how it lives, being under a huge group of red and white oaks, but it does. It'll bloom in a few weeks, announcing the arrival of spring. I've changed the oil in the mower, the trickle charger is topping up the battery and though a typical cold snap is often seen, this week's low 80 degree weather is a tell, of what's to come. Yep and dammit, I'll be mowing before the end of February. Nothing to smile about there.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

You're tearing the heart out of me, we got another foot of snow last night --Yup just drove on thru the mid west and eastern states buried all my Yankee friends good and then decided to knock the **** out of the Canuks. It's like Wednesday night at the movies , been 8 Wednesday double features in a row. An't gotta a St Bernard with a bottle a rum around it's neck to spare amoung those K9's have ya? Shore as hell need something -got all my new fan dangled plastic snow shovels melted. In all seriousness i've burned a cord more a firewood this year as compared to the same time last year and all that bull about us northern boys are used to the cold , thats just horse puckies. I like the quote from one of the boys from Maine " It's cold but it's a damp cold" Be in touch ---Geo.

10. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Popping the molds

In this case that heading is probably correct as that is exactly what we are doing, popping the male molds from the fin and skeg. It is these glassed parts that we are actually using, once they are sanded, filled, primed and painted to look like they have been pulled from a female mold. The inside finish will attest to that and could be used as an actual female mold but in this case a size too small and an extra step in glassing up the fin and skeg. Because it is a one off and a seldom seen part of the hull I chose take the quick and dirty route and skip the step of actually making up a female mold to form my parts as would be the normal thing to do.
    I started the process as most do by wedging. I find that 1in. plastic broad knives make excellent starting wedges. Once I have created some mechanical release pressure I make use of the good old proven standby. I drill a few 3/8 holes thru the glass allowing the bit to just touch the mold. Then with the compressor full up using a rubber tipped air nozzle, apply air pressure and hopefully it will pop. In this case it rightly did. Part one popped out and using a wedge and a little more air out came part two. I had an inkling it might be a challenge, the mold being straight sided along with the natural tendency of FRP shrinking as it cures so I built the mold to break away and come out in two parts. Wise of me to do so as it made the job easier. With the benches put away and the fin hung up I get floor space back in the shop (that I like) :D Now it's on to the next step, removing the gel coat from the bottom of the original keel..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Preparing The Forefoot Area

Here we go again stripping off more gelcoat. I am once more making use of wood chizels to eliminate grinding dust. The entire original keel bottom plus about 4 inches out onto the hull has to have the gel coat removed in order to allow the new keel fin and skeg shells be properly glassed to the original keel section. Proper bonding will not occur if the gel coat is not removed. The photos show the bottom of the original keel and hull area where this blood sweat and tears work has to occur plus the forefoot section that has been completed. I have also included a photo of the new forefoot piece being popped off it's mold. The male mold has since been removed to allow stripping of the gel coat. The new forefoot piece will be glassed onto the forefoot area creating a hollow forefoot cavity that will be filled with 1/2 in. clear stone or lead bits encapsulated in resin.( Material and weight to be determined by the Designer upon completion of ballast calculations.) The addition of this forefoot piece also serves to blend in the lower part of the existing stem to the leading edge of the fin.The mere fact that it will no longer be hollow but a solid "rock bumper" doesn't go astray either. Not that this gunkholing fool would ever hit a rock. :)Next postings will show further progress -- completing the gel coat stripping--Installing the keel bolts /keel cage-- glassing on the fin and skeg shells and finally installing the ballast.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  12. PAR

You've just screwed yourself there George. Now, you're pretty much insured, to find and bash into every rock you pass within a 100 yards of. You have to be careful of these types of grand statements, me boy. Now, go out there and apologize to the old lass. Tell her you where drinking, weren't thinking clearly and had several distractions on your mind, at the time of this comment and hopefully you'll wash away this sin.

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Oh! Oh! I made that statement totally under the influence of Adam's Ale(water). Might have to kiss her buttocks or at least gently massage them with 120 grit. I am however in the process of doing her a great deed, something I possibly should do for myself , a little weight trimming. Reviewing the past three weeks paperwork in detail, it's amazing how it all adds up, so far have gained 1 in. less immersion. One big saving was the introduction of "The Cedar Bucket" & Shower Curtain Head. :D The Open Cockpit Bi Planes will be transporting amateur renderings by mid week. Hopefully they again get over the mountain ranges to the "Sea Shelled Flat Lands" and are not salvaged as fuel for the Appalachian Stills in route. Hows that for coffee fueled communications --Have a Good Weekend -- Geo.

14. PAR

Yeah, I've been waiting and will get back to you as soon as they arrive. You know, they have much better delivery systems now, since your childhood pony express experiences. I can see Nancy nixing the cedar bucket routine, pretty much after it's first use, so maybe you'll want to rethink this path my friend, as you'll just be pissing off another set of nautical gods and this one knows which bad knee of yours to kick.

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

As long as they stick to the knees--as long as they stick to the knees, meanwhile I off to the shop and on my knees peeling gel coat --- likewise with yourself setting up a strongback and setting frames. Men seem to be always on their knees bowing to the female gendered "obstacles" of pleasure. Speaking of which i'm away ------------

< catamarn: how to plumb water tank in each hull | Which Stapler to Buy >