My russian boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by colfar5033, Oct 20, 2009.

1. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

morning all

things are going well here in africa have cut another bulkhead and have another marked out ready to cut this afternoon .will be collecting some material for frames later this afternoon . manie we discussed that i should try and pave area that i will be building in what if i was to put some of those crusher stones down :confused: am running out of space in my garadge so are starting to hang pieces on wall

Attached Files:

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I dont like crushed stone because i walked on it for 8 years on the mine, we had an abundance of the stuff so it was everywhere.
    It does work to a point and will give a "dry" surface to walk on after rain, but will drive you nuts after a while, dusty when dry.
    We had these big CAT 950 loaders that constantly "fixed" our roads and pathways - still lousy.
    Building your boat is going to take much longer than you plan or anticipate, and to be surrounded by a **** surface for all that time is lousy.
    Rather save the money and work on a grass surface, that you mow once a week and then pave bit by bit as you have money and time.

My 2 cents :confused:

3. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

manie

funny that you mention walking on crusher stone had the miss fortune of walking on it yesterday on one of our sites and its kak(not nice). so its back to the drawing board as area in garden is soil no grass :mad:

4. ajlewie

ajlewie Junior Member

Hi there Colfar, good to see you already started building the k800. Here`s another build going on in Brazil..http://www.fotolog.com/kavalier/38626850..they made their k800 hull more precisely as per plan..Happy boatbuilding dude!

5. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

thanks ajlewie

thanks for the link. what sort of changes did you do to your boat :?:

6. ajlewie

ajlewie Junior Member

One of the major changes I made was the changing of the 8mm plywood bulkheads into 19mm, and then we removed the frames. But in your location, I believe pine wood is abundant. Here is not and if there were available one, they were engineered type, with finger joints and very expensive too. I was planning to use phil.mahogany for the bulkhead frames but it will make the boat much heavier so the use of 19mm marine grade plywood is more efficient IMO. I also changed the centerboard into a daggerboard with a 300kg lead ballast that can be lifted with a winch. the original centerboard design I believe does not have enough ballast to make it self righting..this boat got a tall mast and the chances of rolling or capsizing during high winds were high.I`m still planning to change it back to its original fin keel design but with a heavier fin for more ballast, still on the drawing board for that. Next modification was the boarding flatform I placed at the stern and the steering wheel but later removed and went back to tiller. How`s your build going?:)

7. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

ajlewie

pine is easily available here in sa as well as marine ply.was thinking of doing the same with my bulkheads as it takes time to make the frames on bulkheads.
    i have cut out 9 of the 15 bulkheads and have framed 5 so going well so far
    and have our christmas break coming so will have 3 weeks for building. send some photos of your build if you dont mind its nice to see other boats

8. ajlewie

ajlewie Junior Member

yeah,,that`s very laborious but of course,that is how it was designed, do it the way it is planned. your doing a good job...if there were pine here, I`ll do the same.:) .same here,I`m planning to work on the k800 this Christmas vacation, need to repair it, repaint and change/modify the mast..I`m still busy finishing my dinghy build...speaking of the mast,what kind of mast are you going to install? I made a birds mouth mast, so heavy,no available 12.5m aluminum mast here...I will try to lessen its weight by removing the thick epoxy putty, glass and resin my painters applied on it...here`s a link where i post my build then http://pinoyboats.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747

9. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

ajlewie

have been looking at your build and you have done a nice job and liked the video and photos. how long did it take you to build :?: i am planing on an aluminuim maybe second hand or new depending on costs

10. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

morning gents

have been a little quiet of late was battling to get marine ply all my normal supplyrs had none and those who had were mad with there prices. its full steam ahead again and have sorted my issue of building area out.am hoping to have bulkheads finished by end march and in building position end april :D :D .

Attached Files:

• 44.jpg
      44.jpg
      File size:
      505.5 KB
      Views:
    • 55.jpg
      55.jpg
      File size:
      440.2 KB
      Views:
    • 77.jpg
      77.jpg
      File size:
      544.9 KB
      Views:
    • 78.jpg
      78.jpg
      File size:
      364.4 KB
      Views:
  11. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

coming along nicely now almost a boat:D

Attached Files:

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Looking good - what glue are you using on the joints - it should be epoxy
    all wood should be totally encapsulated in epoxy

13. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

thanks manie

have got sp106 that i will use for joints and to encapsulate.
    Am putting all bulkheads together and then strip and epoxy the whole thing.
    hope i am doing the right thing :confused:

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

all ok - just a lot of extra work
    but better to be safe than sorry on a first build if you are not 100% sure

15. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

To true manie. have 3 of bulkheads to finish and took all others to building
    area to see how it fits

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.