1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

best of luck
    I'd give you one for spunk but your probably going to be trading it in eventually for fuel. Just remember your trying to buy 650 gallons when the locals are limited to something like 8, and this subsidy is costing Venezuela 1.5 billion a year. You might as well pull in with an oil tanker and ask "were do I fill up"

now who's on drugs mate :D

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

it is an interesting question tho so I gotta wonder if we have any Venezuelans on team boatdesign anywhere who would like to chime in on this one.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

I will be a Venezuelan, for the sake of the arguement ... but use Australian retail costs...

1 - *******, (an affectionate 'rhyming slang' term for Yankees et-al) are far too fond of inefficient gas-guzzlers as the motive force in their transport... Consequences of cheap and plentiful fuel...

2 - Masalai's boat has the capacity to be using 1.6 litres/hour at 6 knots and basic fuel tank-age is 22 x 25 litre drums (550 litres) and additional capacity of 40 x 20litres (800 litres) - the latter being fuel that I have grown and expelled from coconut flesh... - Cruising range, (on 1350 litres), of 5062 N Miles (3.75 N Miles per litre), - and at today's price of Au$1.47 per litre, not quite as cheap as you folk were speculating... (1350 litres = USgallons? 357.14 . . . and . . . 3.75 miles/litre = 14.175 N Miles /US gallon)

Once I am settled in PNG, (IF THAT HAPPENS), fuel costs will disappear, as I will be using otherwise 'rejected' coconut oil from my own production capacity... Coconut oil filtered to 5 micron will run on direct injected diesel engines where ambient temperature stays above 24/26 degrees Celsius, when coconut oil solidifies...:eek::confused:
    'Direct injected engines', does NOT include "common rail systems", or engines with precombustion chambers...

http://rt.com/programs/keiser-report/finance-repression-usa-bank/ (Sorry, but I could not resist the tragi-comedy in this video, which is more entertaining than any youtube so far posted, and there are 2 new ones each week! :D :eek:

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Well ya learn something every day, I didn't know you could run a direct injection motor off coconut oil. I gotta look up how you process that stuff. Ok so have you tried it and how does it go. My injector pump is going on the truck which is a common occurrence on the engine I have and is unrelated to the fuel switch to motor oil that I made a short while ago, actually the fuel switch probably prolonged the life of the component. I've got a barrel of pure vegi oil and I'm out of WMO at the moment so I'm going to run a tank or two of that stuff and see if it helps the pump out some, deal is as the pump gets warn it starts to have trouble getting up enough pressure to run the injectors so its hard to start if its hot. Thicker fuel tends to alleviate the problem at least in the short term. Its an IDI engine mechanical pump so coconut oil wouldn't really work from what your saying but its interesting to learn why the different oils work best in engines configured certain ways.

cheers
    B

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Your fuel would be as cheap as ours or cheaper if you didn't tax the hell out of it. :)

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Boston, There is plenty of stuff on the internet - search using "google.com.au" to get the "Pacific Islands" stuff 'better' - I have some info, (good and bad), but I am comfortable with CNO (hot expelled coconut oil for use in engines - the cold pressed stuff is for the food/pharma healthfood stuff)...

I drove a toyota landcruiser that was pretty "shabby" and neglected - given a fairly hard life... That vehicle was on CNO since 1991 and was a pain to start on cold mornings but otherwise no problems in the tropics where the night temperature was mostly above 24 Celsius...

Extracted coconut oil only requires filtering to remove small copra (meat) particles... 10 to 15 micron is said to be acceptable, it is just that 5 micron filters were available when I needed them... Pre-heating the fuel to 70 Celsius was said to be advantageous when using CNO as the viscosity or something is then nearer to that of refined diesel... Be aware 70C is close to the flash point of diesel whereas CNO is said to be around 140C...

On another topic, This afternoon, the dentist called to ask how I was (he removed 3 teeth)... Now I consider that REAL GOOD service... The Dentist at North Lakes just over the road and along a bit from all the banks outside the Westfield Shopping complex...

Attached below are 3 pdf type files with more on coconut oil as a fuel...

Attached Files:

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Australia gets its fuel from Singapore pricing (Tapis) which is about 117/barrel as opposed to 99/barrel for WTC... AND IT IS HEAVILY TAXED...

item 2 should be fixed tomorrow...
    point 3 is still an unknown, (Canberra bureaucrats), but this mob are usually very efficient and helpful...

a) is done and c) may get done tomorrow or shortly thereafter... I sneezed and b) may be ignored...

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'm running the truck on WVO at the moment but will be returning to the WMO soon as I get a chance to go pick some up. Fuel is crazy expensive and I'm a cheap bastad, hate giving money to the oil and gas industry and to the politicians, so I'm trying to get that truck to livable condition. Frankly its a wreck, only thing that works is the engine. Everything else is moments from catastrophic failure. Sounds like your old hoopdy was about the same.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Some recent images near Bribie Is... A bit of wind blowing at present - still awaiting confirmation of registration of EPIRB? - - Expect a departure window on the weekend if the Bureaucrats have got their act together regarding Mums status and hospice care assured as she has been blind for some time and needs full care now...

The 'streakey dribbles on the bow' are from an adjacent tree dropping stuff... - wipes off easily where I can reach & remember to do it...

Attached Files:

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Mas,

Would you mind if I brag with your boat on another forum ?
    I promise I won't tell them it's my boat :D

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Fanie, and tell them it is for sale for 300 oz troy of 9999 pure gold bullion from Perth Mint... and I will even put the 12m mast up when they have bought the boat... (Everything and everyone 'has their price'...)

Some more images... Waiting for a weather window...

Attached Files:

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Still waiting on the slow machine called "social security" to restore my mother's entitlements...

Tohatsu, 2.5 hp outboard seems to have some design faults (also marketed in USA under the Mercury brand).
    The fuel tank has a tendency to split at or near the fuel outlet... The dealers blame the user/owner for causing an impact at or near the fuel shut-off tap... I contend that this occurred before delivery to me as whilst 'hanging on a stand' the leak seems to stop... When the engine is on the transom or running the leak varies between 10 seconds a drop, to almost a dribble whilst the engine runs.
    Otherwise the engine seems as sweet as its past reputation suggested... Such a poor design fault is NOT becoming of the good reputation of Tohatsu....

EPIRB registration acknowledgement has not arrived? Does Canberra acknowledge this?

Weather window and "Murphey" seems to have further delayed my departure... bugger!...

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Boston, and others who may be interested, -

Here is a bit more on coconut as a fuel and food (both I created as pdf type documents)

Attached Files:

14. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

$450,000 USD? I've certainly seen people spend more on boats that weren't as nice as yours.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thanks Mas I'll look into it

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.