1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Cripes what a **** song. I cant listen to crap like that, geeez.

I suppose you like Rolph Harris,-- im more a "***** cat girls" fan myself.

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

bit soon for me

i haven't got the dream team helping me ;)

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

We can wait , we wont be leaving till half past.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Heh - did you say half arsed?

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

ok back to boat building :D

here are some little "tips" that may be of interest to you

my modified scrapers

the one with the yellow and black handle at the back - i just cut the corners off a normal 80mm scraper - anyway you like personally - play with angles and sizes

i also put the epoxy in a plastic bag and squeeze it out like toothpaste into the joint - then one swipe with the yellow scraper and everything is clean and level "one shot"

my fillets are good - easy - and very fast

these ones are on the fixed keels of the hulls and will be glassed over when i glass the hulls on the outside
    needless to say - building fixed keels to a "nacca" foil shape is a WHOLE LOT MORE WORK than what this old fart antisipated ;)

3 weeks now and i am still waiting for my "chocolat" powder - Africa is not for sissies :D
    next week, next month, who frikken knows

Attached Files:

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Day one - unloaded the stuff from ATL... 1100kg of panels already cut and needing joining to make the full length sections for the boat... The first portents of well-being - an auspicious start, next the Zpress and two piles of panels to be joined - the first 10 panels joined a few more panels later and we could cut out the tabs and have 2 full length panels and a couple of smaller bulkheads.... More tomorrow...

Attached Files:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hang on Mas what are you saying, that you got the stuff and you are gluing up already? are the photos of your workshop and you?

8. Scrumble

Scrumble Oram 46'C MS Builder

Good day Masalai,

Good to see they have made a great start.
    Congratulations, will you have much time to be part of the crew?
    Thanks for puting up the photos, we are looking forward to more.

Tom

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Bloody hell Mas you completed the boat already !! or am I seeing things.

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

11. masalai

masalai masalai

The one in the background is the one we had to drag (literally) out of the shed to make way for my build - towed by a 4x4... good fun... I doubt any but Bob's designs could handle such and suffer absolutely NO damage.... it is a big 44'C stretched to about 46ft and 24? ft beam... Their second build, the first one was based on a mango 39 - "Tribute"... more photographs every work day - hopefully, otherwise very busy and bloody exhausting work for an old fart.... Thanks for the comments...

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Mas are you also going single daggerboard?

What is the current thinking your side?

1. Fixed keels
    or
    2. Daggerboards (single or double)

from what i understand daggerboard (even single) tacks well
    and fixed keels are nice for beaching to clean undersides

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mannie --hes not here -hes at work, and I think hes quite a bit off making that desicion.

I think hes making the cocktail cabinet today.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Actually sampling the wares - it includes a still and a brewing facility...., and we are considering the daggerboard thing - about the only time I may need it is in a heavy cross wind coming in to a marina pen as it is only about 4.5 metric ton ready to go cruising and 39' loa by 21 ' beam, but then re-saleability to those not versed in cat sailing need something to lift up and down besides their booze whilst making a 60ft mono look like it has a sea anchor out.... so we may have one centreboard - just for decoration....

"Swiss Chris" is heading North in his 39'C it has 4 digits as its name, and is painted a pale yellow - and looks quite nice...

So, the joining of panels and cutting sections out continues unabated 88 panels 8' x 4' to join and then all the big bits are routed/jigsaw cut ready to re-assemble to make the cat....

I do not know what "the Coastal Passage builder was grumbling about - maybe he did not read the manual? everything going ahead very smoothly and Quality control in the ATL products delivers a near perfect kit... - any better they would need to do the build for free - I have no complaints...

Attached Files:

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Eh Mas, so you're actually building the boat eh :D

Pinch yourself... is it real already :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.