1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Thise bricks are going to cause some slapping and drag. Ok the tin may add some booyancy though.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Just to show that there are other Bob Orams being built, this is the 44C of Neil B, on the Sunshine Coast... Just gotta love the sexy colour of his peel-ply, in picture #2203, the bulkhead was zigzagged to enlarge the size of the shower/toilet:D... His hulls are ready for joining and his coach-house is ready for attaching so he is well ahead of me and expects to launch on April fools day next year....

Attached Files:

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mas Im going to tell you something you already know. It is very serious and you need to understand 100%.

You must take care on weight when fitting out.

Yeah I know you know,-- but do you really know that it will kill your boat.

I mean I went and bought plastic mirrors that look just like real ones but are'nt. I didnt paint in some areas because.

I used a sandal wood from Thailand called Mai yom Hom and still I would like to do it again.

Get the batts close to the engines,-- batt cables are bloody heavy.

Dont say Oh I will have to put up with it. It is the sum off.

Telling ya,--- if you dont you will have a dog.

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I agree with Frosty. I calculated some item's 'neglectable' weights and added them. It comes to a scary total.

Normally I would not have worried about the weight...

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Frosty & Fanie,
    The extent of awareness goes to the bog and undercoat - almost sanded back to before it was applied:D:D:D, No pretty trim on the inside, just sufficient 'flowcoat' to render effective waterproofing, no doors on cupboards that do not need them (also easier to clean and inspect for cockroaches).... Almost everything is purchased on weight (looking at solar-panels - 13.3 watts / kg Sanyo 200W panels x 10 = 2KW peak), Torqeedo "10hp" electric outboards weigh 16.5kg each, genset is about 110kg, 2 plate ceramic cooktop is 5kg but cost $50 at the boat-show, watermaker is being made, and so on.... - The halves of the boat before joining could be moved by 2 people easily so light weight is definitely on the agenda...

6. Bob Oram

Bob Oram Junior Member

congratulations

Congratulations Brian.
    2 blokes, approx 7 weeks, less downtime for wet weather, not bad.
    regards
    Bob

1 person likes this.
  7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I tell yer what too mas,!! don't skimp under the water line.

Settle on a good system,-- Jotun or whoever and do it right first time.

I didnt and had to gently hand scrape 2 44 foot hulls down to gell and lighty sand of to nothing then I did a 3 pack Jotun system.

Scraping those hulls was soul destroying and taught me a lesson, mind you I had to get out of Auss before the tax man got me.

3 months is all they gave me or I had to pay GST. Thanks Australia!!

And to think I used to own the place.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Frosty old chappie (does that sound familiar?), if you look at the posted images I am sure you will see several containers (now empty) with the distinctive Jotun labels :D:D:D aaaannd, you would have been less distressed if you sold your boat, and built a Bob Oram design.... :D:D:D

Thanks Bob, about 7 days downtime...

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What is the weight of the empty hull?

And what is the expected completed weight.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

A little less than expected and also for the completed ready to cruise finished product... bathroom scales could not make it... :D:D:D design says max is 4862kg - I am aiming for less than 4500 ready to cruise.... ?

some images, inside looking aft, along stbd hull, "wombat" a stubborn device that is used to apply epoxy evenly to both sides of cloth of varying widths - easily and effectively...

Attached Files:

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yup thats what I was aiming at, its 14 tons now.

12. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

.....obviously not an Oram design......:rolleyes:

13. masalai

masalai masalai

No, No, No, and definitely not yes, to misquote from "Vicar of Dibley" - You are thinking of an ex-wife, she is up near 14 tonnes now... I think I found another boat to store all the crap and excess baggage - it is safe as it should never go to sea - I may post a picture soon.... :D:D:D:D

If you guys are going to get political, listen to this http://www.financialsense.com/Experts/2009/Mohr.html American way to kill a good idea/company just to make a quick buck...

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No its a cold molded Seawind Ventura 44 solid glass under the water line.

Asymmetric wave Piercing hulls.

The deck will not be damaged by dropping car keys on it.

I think 2x250hp would rip an Oram apart.

It weighed a disappointing 7 tons when lifting to the transporter without the bridge on at that time. I had been told it would be less and my calculations for engines were working on less.

With a ton of water and 1-1/2 tons of fuel she still comes up and settles down at 20KTS. Once up and running she does'nt wander ,--your don't take her out she takes you out ,--- 35 liters an hour.

Turbo boost meters rarely move up from there stop,

With the surface props and the high RPM needed to get her up it would be a little difficult for a newby.

I cant expect more economy than that

15. Scrumble

Scrumble Oram 46'C MS Builder

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.