1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

Which version of Mint are you running? And which model ZTE, eg ZTE MF636? If you type lsusb at the command prompt and look for the device with ZTE in the description, the model should also be in that description.

2. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

Frosty, before you ditch your 7 year old computer, you could try a complete reinstallation of the original software including the operating system (Windows XP?). Did it come with either a Windows CD or a restore CD?

There are plenty of online guides to reinstallation eg: How to Reinstall Windows XP

Make sure you copy (onto a USB flash drive) anything you want to keep from the computer first , as this will be erased during reinstallation.

You'll also have to download and install a gazillion updates via the Windows Update, so you'll need plenty of internet data credit for this.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

'Bit the bullet', ordered and paid in full, for a pair of fixed 3 blade propellers 15 x 12 as nearest to requirement in stock and available in Australia... for Au$1232 including GST...

By my estimate better than direct importation from England at Au$1500 or so... - killed by the quote for freight at 450 pounds !

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Bought a 24mm socket and long half inch lever to be ready to remove the old' folding propellers, and sourced an air gun ($80 something), and special socket to amplify the force if the nut will not budge... Need to have a chat with a friend to borrow his compressor... :eek: so I am mostly all prepared for when the propellers arrive...

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

A piece of wood carefully and strategically placed between cavitation plate and a blade has never been beat. Much cheaper than 80 dollars and they should not be that tight anyway. The nut only holds it in place the splines do the work.

OR 2 pieces of wood bolted together in such a fashion that the 2 blade folding prop would fit in between.

Also a windy as the Brits call it or a rattle gun as the ******* call it will work great on an air tank.

The contents of an air tank is ample to rattle your nuts off. But dont buy one 90 dollars is way too much for a guy that cant afford it and you should not need one anyway or will ever use it again.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Ahhh Eeeermmmmm. To access the nut that holds the prop - - The blades must be removed.... The installation manual was very specific in stating the torque for the propeller hub/base... The new fixed blade system has different specifications... I hope...

After reading and listening to most recent doomsayers, - My next objective is to save for 1450 litres more fuel for the boat, effect the change of the propellers to a pair of 3 blade fixed 15" x 12" pitch aluminium screws...

I have been promised carpeting for the main saloon floor...

Lastly on the agenda is an RO watermaker - 60 Litres/hour (Au$4500) and a 45A 24V petrol-battery-charger (Au$1485)

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ahhh errr so its not a folding prop but feathering. Ok so getting to your nuts will be different.

Its still a lot of money to get your nuts off. I can get my nuts off here in the red light district a lot cheaper than that

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Previous was - - a 2 blade folding in bronze 15" x 11" (looks like a Gori)... New is - - FIXED 3 blade in Aluminium 15" x 12" to pick up this morning...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  9. masalai

masalai masalai

Well here is a picture of the propellers... 15 x 12 showing both sides resting on the concrete driveway in the afternoon sun...

I hope to have a photograph of them fitted to the boat where they should be... Then to do a couple of performance tests... - But whilst I am at it, and the boat is 'high-and-dry', I may as well install the carpet on the bridge-deck...

Attached Files:

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

congrats Mass

they look good from here, keep us posted on how they work out

on the water maker cant you home build something that uses the exhaust manifolds to steam sea water, take the steam and condense it. repeat as necessary and end up with some nice fresh water. Seems kinda a waste to generate extra heat when its the primary byproduct of the engine system.

11. masalai

masalai masalai

RO watermaker does not use heat... It forces the fresh water through the membrane to be collected - - and the 'saltier brine' is returned to the ocean... Then when you have enough, the system is back flushed, to leave it clean for use within 24 hours to repeat the process... If you are not going to use it for a week-or-so, then it must be "pickled" to keep the system clean during 'storage'... After pickling, the initial water is not collected but is used to flush the system of the "pickling" chemicals... The process uses very high pressure...

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Just looking at the issues that Catbuilder is in the process of resolving, http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/hy...ulsion-system-design-have-your-say-39662.html - - - and my difficulties with changing propellers... Arrrghhh the frustrations................

Next time, If I build again, I am really tempted to go shaft drive, - - and have available a huge range of propellers "off-the-shelf".... The hull form would be in the style of the Chamberlin C10, below the waterline, around 700mm draught, and will not need mini-keels, and exhibit a smooth line from bow to propeller and the aft end, as in the attached image will help to reduce 'squat' when powered up... http://www.catchcryhamm.com/?q=node/87

http://www.catchcryhamm.com/files/Life After Sailing Cats Article.pdf is an essay on the C10 - I would go 150L of water a side RO watermaker off the engine via electric clutch... - 850L of fuel a side and mains electric power via 24V batteries and inverter... I still like 40ft loa & 21ft beam as extra storage capacity and space is too nice to forego, PV panels of the roof, as on CNO :D but the curved front window, (as may also be seen on the Lagoon40 series), has got to go so I can use flat panels of tempered glass with a slope of about 6" in at the top from vertical...

Foreign Affair is at 14M very nice, but a tad too big, and the front windows slope too much making a solar trap out of the bridge-deck-saloon.... 91715

Attached Files:

13. masalai

masalai masalai

How do you like this 40 ft power cat? 4000kg or so and 150mph potential but here, in cruise mode...

Attached Files:

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That's the problem with just about any project, Masalai. About the time you're finishing up, you're busy figuring what you'd do different next time.

I even have that problem in the kitchen. A while back I cooked a new dish, and I was analyzing it at the dinner table: figuring out how I'd change the seasonings next time, wondering if I should've cooked it hotter and faster, etc.

My wife unexpectedly exploded all over me: "why don't you just shut up and enjoy what you've cooked for a change, instead of picking it apart and trying to tell me what's wrong with it?"

I decided that maybe for the peace of the household I better stop doing my thinking aloud for a while....

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Hehehe, I just say, I never cook the same "recipe" the same way twice, so would likely never do in a restaurant, but I love cooking and I reckon a good cook loves experimenting depending on taste at that moment in time... I do - - - stir-fry Malaysian/Singapore style, South Indian style curries, prefer to use only basmati rice as it is low GI has a very long grain and is quite adaptable, like producing the occasional 3-veg-and-roast, What I grow/butcher is best... Plucking feathers are a pain, as is disposing offal & gutting... - - and, as for fishing - I will request someone else does the catching, I do the rest...

If you are into smoking food, try "tea smoked" chicken breasts stuffed with a bit of bre (cheese) - - alongside fish cut into small pieces (almost like grated cheese), then cooked in sour lemon juice and chopped hot-chillies in the refrigerator, - - then garnished with lightly pan browned diced onions adding a dash of coconut milk and spices... Think in terms of contrasting sensations... and the likes of banana&mango nectar for a drink or drizzle... cold side dish of fresh seasonal salad... If you can get them fresh, those little "bait-fish" between .5 and 1 inch long, deep fried to a golden crisp and sprinkled lightly over all... "Masalais mystery main-course" will work for those who have a heart for food and cooking...

I have done commercial cooking (about 100 Sergeants and Officers in adjoining messes) and would always get a full turnout when I was serving "rubbish" meats, as I would make a sweet-and-sour and the lot would be devoured in short order, the latecomers would miss out and made do with Quiche and some leftovers... - I got to go early...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.