1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Hoyt,
    That was as close as I can get for the present, It can sit where it is until I get the propellers (~Au$1500 for the pair?), and put her on the hard stand and can attack the bottom with some sanding gear after cleaning off the muck... Sandy beach is covered with a slim layer of slime and sea grass with all sorts of sharp things hidden (Ouch, ouch, ouch - nearly dropped the camera struggling back onto the 'rubber-duckie' which was sitting-just-floating-not-fully-grounded) ... That scene could have won "Funniest home videos" on TV here.... :eek: :p :D, but I had the only camera...

A suitable glue is the only option as through bolting is out of the question ... (not really yelling but the layers and need to perform all manner of magical tricks also deter that option - would be an easy fix in a metal or CSM-layup hull...) The black rubber piece is about 8" x 15" and sort of like a truck-inner-tube in texture and suppleness... 87515

2. dialdan

dialdan Junior Member

re rubber boot

Hi Mas,
    Give the rep at Adheseal a call 33560000 they should be able to help , they are at Stafford
    cheers
    Al

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks dialdan, Monday's job... :D

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Please share your findings!

5. masalai

masalai masalai

OK Here it is, The folk at Adheseal seemed to know their stuff, I spoke to Mal Johnson there and he recommended "Megapoxy 69", to be found at the bottom of the page here:- http://megapoxy.com/?cat=9

It is a two part mix that must be mixed as instructed and will hold rubber to the epoxy based material of the boat... Smallest quantity is Au$41.16 for 1 litre + GST for Australian purchases - they will p&p plus costs...

6. dialdan

dialdan Junior Member

I wonder if Sikaflex would work

7. masalai

masalai masalai

I tried either that, or was it another product? and NO..........

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

3m 5200 will do the trick

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks Landlubber, second string to my bow :D

10. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

I used contact adhesive

11. masalai

masalai masalai

I used contact adhesive? on an underwater join in warm salt water?

12. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Not exactly warm water as this was in Melbourne, all I can say is that three years later when I sold the boat it was still stuck on.

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi AndrewK,
    Do you remember the brand and "type" identifier?

14. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

hi mas. is that marine growth normal for a copper anti-foul paint? are you getting barnacles aswell? i read it's supposed to stay clean for a decade apart from the easily removed "slime"...whatever that is. you seem to have a jungle down there.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Richard,
    That is not anti-foul-PAINT... it is an epoxy/copper-dust mix that is very hard and works best in the 'rough'... (I had very little growth after my trip up to South Percy - 4 ~ 5 weeks, and before that - the first 7 ~ 9 weeks in the water from launch on 28 April 2011...)

Sitting for 6 weeks in a semi stagnant pond, well inside a nearby canal development, has encouraged unexpected growth... That is my guess at present as I have not been able to get up close and have a go at scrubbing the 'slime' off...

From the distance and angle at which I have been able to inspect it, it looks like the stuff that grows rapidly in still/stagnant waters with a good run-off from the well fertilised lawns and gardens of suburbia...

Where she is parked at present there is about a 3 knot tidal flow, sand-crabs and fish so we will see what transpires... Will there be any 'cleaner fish' in the area to pick the belly of this "quiet-big-fish" whilst it is 'resting', or, will the crabs find the green-pick a tasty treat? ...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.