My first effort - now for bigger ones

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Aberdeen, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Aberdeen

Aberdeen Junior Member

I recently built my first boat - call it mid-life crisis if you like - but now want another bigger one :eek:

This was is a Hartley 'Husky' at 10' 9" x 5' called 'Rusty'
    An absolute joy to build, albeit old technology, after all it has frames, not the modern stitch it up type.

Next one is due to start in February 2006 - this time a Hartley 'Flareline' at 15' x 6' 9" http://www.hartley-boats.com/flare15.html
    Yet another old style but there is something about them!

At least whilst building the next one it will give me time to find a great plan for about a 20-24 foot one for retirement pleasure in about 6 years.

Happy Sailing
    Love snook & snapper

Glenn
    Adelaide, South Australia

Attached Files:

2. CET

CET Senior Member

Beautiful boat, Glenn! Nice job.

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Well done Glenn, you should be very proud. If you need suggestions for the next one you will find some opinions here.
    Gary

4. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Beautiful!
    Congratulations
    Well done.
    Good Job.
    Especially so if that was your first boat.

You actually started AND finished a beautiful craft. Not to many people have done that.

But beware the slippery slope. Seek (counselling) help if you find yourself pricing large sheds and/or big power tools.:p

Rob

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Beautiful!

I think anyone would be proud just to have her... not to mention to have built her! Excellent job!

And great to see people posting wonderful projects like this in the forums :)

6. Aberdeen

Aberdeen Junior Member

Rob
    Thanks for the compliments, keep that up and I'll get a big head :)
    Yep first effort, see us Crow eaters can do more than play a bit of Auusie Rules ;)

Your warning to beware of the slippery slope is too late! Ordered the plans yesterday for a Hartley 'Flareline' 15 footer :idea: and have already told the missus that nearer retirement we will be getting a much smaller house with a much BIGGER shed.... and she agreed! Must get that in writing I think

Like playing with wood, woke up early last year and for some reason decided I had to build a boat... bit different from the pergola out the back and some picture frames and coffee tables. Bonus is that I have all the biggish power tools :D to do the job. Even worse, and yes counselling is probably needed, I have already narrowed the designs for a 22 footer after this one :eek: Fortunately my best mate is now a preacher and counsellor, so we spend a lot of time talking about such things over a cold Coke or 2 :)

Regards
    Glenn over in Adelaide

7. Aberdeen

Aberdeen Junior Member

Thanks Jeff, all going well I hope to have some more pics of my next boat once I get a start on that - the plans have been ordered !!!

Glenn

8. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Absolutely perfect! Therapy be damned, building the boat IS the therapy! Can't wait to see the next one.....two....three:D

9. Aberdeen

Aberdeen Junior Member

Corpus Skipper,
    Thanks for the compliment! I will certainly have to post photos of the next one or 2 after having received so many positive comments on the first one... :) Enjoyed going beyond the designers basics for 'Rusty' and added a few extras like decking, laminated seating etc. It was a real buzz.

Do you have a business or boat website?

Glenn in Australia

Are you anywhere near Bellville TX 77418 ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.