mold maintenance

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by aguest, Dec 27, 2003.

1. aguest

aguest Junior Member

Am I correct here? I have been repairing some bad places in my mold. I have applied some putty and sanded , got the area fixed. I have now sprayed tooling gelcoat. I go 400 - 600 and then buff with compound? Will this get me the really great shine? Should I wet sand or dry? Any other suggestions would be great. Ricki

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Go to at least 1000 for a good finish.

3. aguest

aguest Junior Member

Wet sand or dry? Should I use a DA or by hand. Your help is much appreciated! Ricki

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you use a DA, pick a small orbit one. The large orbit sanders leave too many swirls.

5. Russ

Russ 60 year plastics veteran

Right on,
    There is a material called mold sealer and polish. I think both Maguires and TR make one. It in buffed in and fills the pores created by the sanding.

6. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

sand the mould to 800 then use a fast cut compound to remove any sandind marks u may have to do this a couple of times,then use a finshing compund to clean up and fine scatches

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.