MiniCAT-5

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi guys,

I have been posting all over the show and finally got to sit down and start tidying things up a bit. I have got the greatest admiration for the "Strider" webpages and short films and blogs, but **** man i just dont have the damn time for "smart" stuff like that.:D

So here is a bit of a run down of what i have been up to lately (no time for drivel he he he);)

All the old farts out there, time to get going AND BUILD A BOAT, we have had soooo many discussions on design and tools and whatever (as well as crew:p ) that we are all fully qualified now to glue a box together and get to the water.

Maybe the youngsters could also get interested when the see the old fuddy duddies crawling around on their hands and knees building a boat.

Maybe this is inspiration
    Maybe not
    Maybe it will make you laugh

Aneeeeeewaaaay its damn good fun

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Part 1

The inspiration was the Jarcat

Herewith some of my drawings
    I will give explanations as i go along why i did things and what the requirements are.

Its a long list that i will post later

Attached Files:

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Part 2

The lofting and building is underway

All done with basic tools

Good quality BS 1088 Marine ply and epoxy

i have used 9mm for the sides and 12mm for the bottom "keel"

Attached Files:

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Part 3

The laying off the keel

BEEEG PAAARTEEE

Trevs i got some LIMOSIN and saved some for you:D

All the panels are marked and many are cut
    so this weekend i am hoping to start putting epoxy in the taped seams

so this is where i am at, at the moment:D

Do you guys think it may be a bit early to start advertising for crew hey hey:D :D :D

Attached Files:

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Part 4

I wasted a bit of time this past fortnight, mostly changing my mind, some backwards and forwards, but essentially all for the better.

The first hull is now filleted and glass taped over. All is going together very well and easily, and my CAD drawings are being checked as i go along, and they are correct.

The second hull is finished cut as well, now it is ready for scarf joints. I found it best to "fit" the panels together in the building frame and drill holes through both panels into which i glue dowel pins in afterwards. This ensures very accurate lining up, when the scarf joints are epoxied together.

Attached Files:

6. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Nice. You should see my work shop looks like a bomb hit it. I noticed your jig saw. I found that modle difficult to controll (speed). Then I am only moderatly competant with wood. I bought this one. If you need a bench saw I have a Roybi standing un used

Attached Files:

• Jsaw.jpg
      Jsaw.jpg
      File size:
      100.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Manie I thought you were building a cat:D :D :D :D

Attached Files:

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Butch

i tell you somedays i do get confused he he he:D

anyway where are you going keep your boat in Durban ??? harbour. And what does it cost nowadays.

Could you get me in there for a week or so with my little cat??? next year April ???

The guys do some pretty extensive sailing of Australia with these little boats

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jarcatjarboree/

i would love to go out for a couple of hours on a good day for a fun sail.

Do you have a "Durban Ticket" to get in and out of the harbour

9. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Hi Manie .April yup can do I have a mooring at Point but I think I am going over to Bluff. The reason for this is the people at the Bluff are more accomodating and unlike Point the best sailors are not the ones who can stay upright on a barstool. In short Point = *** HOLES. Bluff good down to earth Boere sailors. The only thing about the bluff is the long haul to throo the harbour and the issue of mooning the twats at Point as you go by:D Are you shutting down in December if so we should hookup either up your way or down in Durbs.I want to do a club crawl to see how many boats are looking for owner. I heard about a few 1 or 2 Woods Cats that may be avalible.Need to go look see.

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Part 5

Port side hull ready to come out of the building frame and the starboard side hull will be going in this week.

All good thus far.

The big job of glassing outside the hulls and painting is now ahead. Sanding and more sanding coming up.

First time the hull sees sunlight.

Attached Files:

11. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Nice Manie. We had rain and snow. Needless to say I didnt touch the boat.Frustrating. Going to erect a tent over her on Monday.

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Part 6

Good going for a Monday evening,
    considering this is South Africa and the President got fired
    go figure hey :D

The port side hull is out of the mould !!! :D :D :D

I must admit that i was very worried that it would come out true and straight. The question is always - is the hull holding the jig true - or is the jig actually doing its job.

Answer - Its true and straight !!! :D :D :D

Next step is building the starboard hull which is already cut and scarfed (should go together faster)

I am starting on my naca mini keels next (1.5m x 0.2m x0.08m) and a balanced (15%) single - centre kick up rudder - and the tiller which will be hooked up to a small SH (around in ten / duckworks) wind vane steering system.

The rocker may seem hectic but i designed for 700 kg and not 500 kg as per Jarcat. When i go away for a weekend i like to keep a variety of wines in stock and plenty of beer:D

I have found a company that manufactures tents in Pretoria that is going to make my Gaff sails. I want to do a lot of experimentation with different sails. My rigging will be hot diped galvanised as well as a galv steel mast.

The next couple of weeks will be interesting, as i hope all the old school ideas come together. Many may fail - but what the heck - this is a fun project :D :D :D

Attached Files:

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Part 7

Blood sweat and tears

but its coming together

starboard hull now underway

and the fridge definately fits !!!

Attached Files:

14. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Looking Good Manie! I noticed the bottle of Jack has vanished:D

15. Nikimathew

Nikimathew New Member

Semi-Hollow

Both pickups have a huge range of sounds by simply rolling the volume off and when combined with tone control there's not much you can't do with it. Balance between pups is perfect and it sustains far longer than a guitar this light has any right to do. Held notes with drive sing out and slowly morph into beautiful undertones. A nice trick is to hold a single note with the volume rolled off a bit and as the sound decays slowly turn the volume up to full. All the extra harmonics come in like a cathedral choir. Matt says the sound will blossom as the top loosens up.
    ----------------
    Nikimathew
    CONSUMER GENERATED MEDIA

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.