Manie's TEN

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Angel the sliding hatch will be sturdy - that's not a problem
    but not as water tight like a dogged down system, however after speaking to many sailors with some pretty good sliding systems I think we are ok, here I am taking advice from sailors that have been around the world several times and are presently sailing all over. They are happy with my plans, soooo time will tell :?:
    It will only leak when the boat is upside down but the water pressure will press it tight against the roof and so hopefully minimize ingress ??
    :) hold thumbs

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Well finally a warmer day, our temperatures have been below 4 deg celcius and epoxy takes forever to cure. So an nice warm day today and there the outside of the inside hull ;) is glassed.

Now its full steam ahead with the "roof" :)

Attached Files:

• 31.JPG
      31.JPG
      File size:
      196.5 KB
      Views:
    • 32.JPG
      32.JPG
      File size:
      171.1 KB
      Views:
    • 33.JPG
      33.JPG
      File size:
      206.2 KB
      Views:
    • 34.JPG
      34.JPG
      File size:
      196.7 KB
      Views:
    • 35.JPG
      35.JPG
      File size:
      198.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Westel

Westel Senior Member

One sunny day and you allready got some tan.....:D:D

4. Westel

Westel Senior Member

It's going to be one hell of a strong boat Manie !!

Looking really NICE !!!

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Manie I hate to be your most critical fan, but I doubt those who advised you are such extreme sailors as Roger Taylor and have been upside down as much as he and as you will be . . .

This is what Roger says about it ---> Articles ---> May 2009
    I'll post some more info later, I'm out of time for now.

6. Westel

Westel Senior Member

I'm with Angel on this one. I think the sliding hatch is perfect for what it was designed for, but to keep water out when inverted or in huge breakers wasn't one of the design goals I think.
    Gerry Spiess had on more than one occasion wrinch a screwdriver or something between the sliding hatch to make it seal better.

The comfort of a sliding hatch might be attractive but in fact the only purpose of a hatch is to be able to keep water out at "all" times.....or as much as possible.......and to get in or out :D

7. Angélique

Just saw Sven made a post about hatches, thanks Sven [​IMG], I'm wrong above he uses hinged ones, but he does make them able to be dogged down....

About Hatches - - (see the full post + pictures via the link)
    That Roger solved by a small spray hood just over the hatch.

That as far as I know Roger didn't solve. On his latest boat Roger uses for the main hatch a hinged Lewmar (I don't know the exact type) that can be opened and dogged both from the inside and outside. Roger himself explains it in a video which I will look up...

8. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Sven Yrvind also has an arrangement where he has a free floating hatch that can be dogged down can also slide away on ropes when it is opened. Something he didn't do but I might have is made the interior hatches the same fit so they could act as spares for the exterior hatches.

9. Angélique

10. Westel

Westel Senior Member

This is a rough sketch of an idea from a few years back.
    To avoid water catching in the "upside-down" hatch I thought if the top of the hatch stayed "right side up" there could be no water collecting on the insed of the hatch.
    A very simple folding system with 4 independent swing arms which would allow to dog down each corner of the hatch.

Attached Files:

11. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I think that the seal compression problem on a hinged hatch could be solved through the use of oversized barrels in the hinges. If you want a 1/4" of compression and you had, say, a 3/16" hinge pin, 1/2" barrels would give you the desired range of compression plus clearance. :idea:

A sliding hatch that can be dogged down could done with a little bit of thought. Manie, I think that watertight would be highly desireable in way of your hatch(es). I can't imagine not going inverted in your little boat and this little detail is something that doesn't need to be left to chance. ".....water pressure will press it tight against the roof and so hopefully minimize ingress ...."

Perhaps, you have some inversion testing in mind to confirm your theory. :?:

12. Angélique

Best check the upside down waterline in the computer first, I guess the hatch will be close to the surface so there won't be a lot of pressure to press the hatch tight against the roof, but there will be enough pressure to hose the water in through even the tiniest slit. Just like when a huge breaker lands on the hatch, I think this will generate enough pressure on the water to pass the coamings.

13. Angélique

Manie, I think you have a good strategy here, just let the ideas, and some criticisms, come in and than see if and what you can use of it . . :)

Remember, we're all fans of you and the project, so it all comes well meant . . :cool:

14. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

I like the oversized barrels idea of LP, so you can effectively dog down all corners. Whatever you do you have to make sure you can always get back in, that nothing can dog itself shut or snag onto something even if you happen to be unlucky enough to get rolled while outside. That could be embarrassing. ;-)

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Thanks for the posts folks, always food for thought.
    Just the hatch on Yankee Girl is totally flimsy by my standards and too wide.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.