Manie's TEN

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The swim platform is a necessary evil in my case. Besides the fact that it can be used as a "outside" area for washing and toilet? in my case it forms the basis for the pushpit.

The pushpit is important because this is what the wind generator - auto pilot and windvane steering will be mounted onto. Is this nice? NO DEFINATELY not but the boat HAS to stay a "ten" and anyway the build is way to far down the line and also I set out to build a "ten" with all the problems that come with it ;)

The swim platform? will be approx. 200 mm (8") above the waterline and making it "breaking wave" friendly (if there is such a term) so it is more of a frame with a bit of net to stand on and definitely not a sun tanning area for bikini girls :p

Jamie as a relatively new guy here you can read more about this project here

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/all-things-boats-and-boating/ait-around-ten-49601.html

and here

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/all-things-boats-and-boating/yrvind-39341.html

and this is what led to all this

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/manies-microcruiser-27869.html

there you can read all about the good the bad and sometimes the ugly, it is all interrelated as the whole lot does go hand in hand.
    Anyway now it is Friday TGIF the best day of the week where I actually start my boat building session that goes thru until Sunday night uninterrupted by work and other distractions. I always work a couple of hours during the rest of the week but its difficult - I still am part of this "Earth Machine" and have to work to make a living :eek:

Enjoy ! :)

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Manie, this could be a chance to sail a SCAMP as well...

East of Hout Bay, on the east bank of False Bay, just east of Gordon's Bay Harbour, in Mountainside, there is SCAMP sail #273 registered. It's about 70 km from Hout Bay.

SCAMP sail #136 is registered in Johannesburg.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Thanks for the links, Manie, or should I say chain of events and non-events.
    Fully loaded, Gerry joked, "I had to eat my way in." - That is pretty funny.

So scaling down Yankee Girl from 10 feet to 8 feet would be about 1100 pounds. I am still sort of leaning that way 1100 pounds vs 2200 pounds. I am not so sure about the super deep keel though that I had in mind. Still thinking that over. I have a lot of catching up to do. I like the pushpit. I think you should have room for at least one of those ladies. I will put the rest in the general AIT thread.

4. SaltOntheBrain

SaltOntheBrain Senior Member

I'm not sure if this question is more appropriate here or in the generic AIT thread, but why no cats? I haven't found a single link to an AIT catamaran.
    Bed to port, kitchen in the starboard hull. cabin tall enough for a weather helm.
    Batteries in the keels and a buoyant roof for self-righting. Roof/deck gives more room for solar panels.
    Not sure I'm crazy enough to build one yet, but it sounds a little better going around in two coffins instead of one.
    LF

5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Off the cuff, I think that self righting is of major importance on this little boat and I think that a cat fails the self righting test. Considering the seas that Manie will be crossing, I think he sees a knock-down or inversion as a realistic eventuality. Hard to sail with the mast in the mud. But there is a thought, I reversible(invertible) boat (where up depends on your point of view(added text)). ;)

6. SaltOntheBrain

I don't think a cat that small necessarily fails at being self-righting.
    10' long, 10' wide, and 8' high (less mast) buoyant roof, batteries under the sole. I'd bet it would pop right up.
    40' long, 20' wide, (or more) and only 10' or 12' high....yeah, upside-down is kind of permanent.
    Besides that, though.
    Why not?
    LF

7. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

The rules of the competition states it is for monohulls only, but I say go for it. I don't think you would expect to be doing the wild thing all around the globe in a 10 foot cat, or tri, or proa, but it would be fun to see what you could come up with for a design that was recoverable from a capsize.

8. Angélique

In response to the above four "AIT: 10' Monohull vs 10' Cat" posts . . :idea:

See the question in the "AIT Around In Ten thread" in post #146 and the IMHO good answer in post #147.

P.S. - Possible further discussion on this topic suits the general AIT Around In Ten thread better I think as this thread is about Manie's TEN monohull which is already under construction.

9. SaltOntheBrain

Rules? Are you kidding? AIT is going One Design like Opti racing? And NASCAR?
    OK. I knew there was a reason, I just missed it.
    I'm sure a short fat cat will sail like a brick, but I'm not sure I buy the claim that it won't sail better than a 10ft Nao that is nearly half submerged. And not heeled over at 45 degrees sounds better, too.
    But some candy *** who isn't even going to try it made a rule, so I'll just sit back and be quiet again and enjoy Manie's thread.
    I AM enjoying your thread, Manie. I just wish you'd hurry up. You're not getting any younger, you know.
    Thanks for the answers, guys.
    LF

10. Angélique

SaltOntheBrain, while you were posting I added a P.S. to my above post, it kinda cross posted with your post so to say, sorry it was too late for your response.

I think we best continue this "AIT: 10' Monohull vs 10' Cat" topic and the rules discussion on the general AIT Around In Ten thread, on which I responded to your post in post #328.

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

12. Angélique

Hi Manie,

Thanks for the article, I'll quote a bit . . :)
    + 1 [​IMG] for any DIY boat design.​

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm sorry to report the article contains one broken link, but easy to fix: (below green part is a link in the article)

. . . “Manie’s Ten” http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/manies-ten-51428.html that started . . .

To get a lead to the thread ‘‘ that’’ has to be moved out of the link, so it becomes...

. . . “Manie’s Ten” http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/manies-ten-51428.html that started . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Thanks Angel working on it - something's wrong dunno

14. Westel

Westel Senior Member

Gerry Spiess did just fine without CAD, or a computer for that matter, using pencil and paper....(Just teasing)

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Westel - I agree but what is important he did his homework properly

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/sailing_breezes_current/articles/feb06/yankeegirl.htm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.