Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 04-25-2015, 05:15 AM

Rep: 23 Posts: 384
No negativity intended.

Just my prediction for future reference
Old 04-25-2015, 07:09 AM

Rep: 43 Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedpirate View Post
Manie will drop out within 3 weeks of sea trial...
Can I lend your christal ball to predict the winning lottery numbers for next week ?
Old 04-25-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
Westel,

Where did you hear that Sven Yrvind has dropped out? His website was updated two days ago to announce that construction of his boat has begun.

http://www.yrvind.com/present_project/

stonedpirate,

If you are unable to add anything either constructive or positive to this thread, perhaps it would be better if you wrote nothing. Manie does not need your negativity. #122 & #126
Sven started construction of a new boat, his ten footer hull was build allready months ago but instead of finishing it he took on another project.
Could be though that he will use this new boat to test some of his idea's for his tenner.......
I hope I'm wrong and that Sven will carry on with his non-stop "circumnavigation" in his 10ft sailing boat.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:16 AM

Rep: 1818 Posts: 2,039
Westel and Pericles thanks.

He announced it rather coyly in the paragraph below the pic of the "short mast"

Quote:
This boat is much smaller than Yrvind Ten. Only a third of its displacement, 500 kilos with food and water ready for a long high altitude passage. I have lost interest in Around in Ten.
Westel I agree with you wholeheartedly, you cant chop and change like that especially after you sailed across the pond Yrvind in a modified Paradox and you had all that time to think and come up with the good idea and design.

Still a pity
Old 04-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Flying Boatman

Rep: 584 Posts: 1,367
Sven is an I interesting and intriguing fellow. No doubt, extremely intellectual. I believe though that he had lost the "spirit of" the AIT with his bolt-on extensions. Had they not been buoyant and faired, I think I could agree with his thought process to have them. In that regard, I'm somewhat relieved that he has lost interest as there could have been a bit of controversy regarding his voyage had he attempted and completed it with the ship he had in mind.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:36 PM

LP I'm with you on that, the problems is that then it would be a 4m boat and not a 3m / ten.

What I see a tall order for his AIT project is that he intended to do a true world trip, non-stop unassisted, which would be Europe to Europe around the capes. We never made claim to that, our trip has and is - Cape Town to Cape Town, which is shorter because it is only the Southern Ocean part of the trip.

https://www.facebook.com/Satosamicroyachts?ref=hl

With all the extremely hard work that has gone into our planning, I would confidently state that to do a world trip like that would be a completely different ball park from our perspective and we would have to go back to the drawing board big time for such a project.

This is the first stage of our venture and we have a very clear vision of where we are going with this project - and the follow up projects thereafter. Time will tell where we go, but this TEN and it's purpose, is set. To us this is only the beginning.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 PM

Rep: 1183 Posts: 774
Good to hear it Manie, keep moving forward.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:41 AM

Rep: 0 Posts: 343
Strange theories.
Before he exchanging the increase to the square the resistance at increase the speed ... with the structural strength of the small boats;
then choose to engage in a challenge with a boat whose only regulation is the length of 10 ft ... wanting to do it 13 ft waterline;
then puts on two square sails ... and two narrow drifts like the flaps plane;
then invents this strange formula ... the weight ... and, just looking at the model, is understandable that that boat weighs 500 kg with the waterline where he sketch it , but it is perfectly capable of weighing at full load even 700 - 1000 kg...
Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 AM
aka Angel (only by name)

Rep: 1632 Posts: 1,382
Manie,

Relating to your ballast battery bank, this thread about batteries in a bank might be interesting to enhance the safety level . .

P.S. - The OP has small currents like you will have on the TEN I think.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Fanie

Rep: 2484 Posts: 4,572
Hello Angélique,

Looking at all those burning cars, it looks like in Italy ! In all the IT movies when a car gets shot (even with a 9mm) then it bursts into flames. American cars explode and always gets shot up in the air, so definitely Italian.

If money is not a problem and you want to save the weight, then the new(ish) LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate 4) batteries are the thing to go for. Excellent battery with a lot better service life and performance, but the price is scary, even from China, about 10 x the price of 10 year SLA batteries, and with a currency that is worth about 12 x less, it is big numbers.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Fanie

Rep: 2484 Posts: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manie B View Post
To us this is only the beginning.
Right out of The Mummy
Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 AM

Hi Angel, yes I have been following that thread closely.
I have 3x Lead Crystal batteries in stock already
So definitely a 25a fuse on every positive terminal
exploded battery

Anyway I have been very busy on the boat and I will explain a lot more in the next blog post. What it's all about was to make provision for ALL the systems that will be on board, including 3x bilge pumps = 2x 12v and 1x Whale hand pump. The one 12v pump is in the "battery box" at the lowest part of the keel. I am running all the wiring and pipes thru the storage lockers so that I have a minimum of wiring and piping visible.

This is hard work that is not really visible on photos and it is frustrating, because you work your butt off and when you stand back it looks like you have been doing nothing for weeks but that is the nature of building a boat.

The good news is that I am about to turn the boat upside down and build the keel next. Some good pics coming next week. Here are the mass calculations (thanks to Wynand) and we are good to go !!! SG on the water line in the middle of the boat she should be self righting
Attached Thumbnails
Manie's TEN-611.jpg  Manie's TEN-612.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TEN full MASS CALCULATIONS.pdf (47.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 01:47 AM

Nobody can claim that you didnt do everything within your ability to make this project a succes Manie.
Wish the Original AIT had some contenders like you......

Keep up the good work !!!!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:27 AM

Oh well finally an update. The past couple of weeks were taken up by small "fiddly" jobs inside the boat that you cant really photograph.

I have made provision for all the electrical cabling and piping to run inside the storage lockers so that I have the absolute minimum of wires visible. I have made provision for 3 bilge pumps 2x 12v and 1x Whale hand pump. The hand pump and 1x 12v "Rule" will service the aft cabin and 1x 12v "Rule" will sit inside the "battery box" inside the keel. The system will be safe and for my sake enough. Obviously that means 3 sets of pipes and 3 sets of electrical cables.

Then my partner Anthony and I had long discussions about where we are going with this boat technically and we have decided and settled on the following:

3x lead crystal batteries
2x 85 watt solar panels
1x Silentwind 400 12v wind generator
1x ST1000 Raymarine tiller pilot
1x Torqeedo Travel 1003 12v outboard motor
1x Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF radio with AIS and GPS
1x Garmin fish finder Echo 151 as a depth sounder
1x Garmin Montana 600 GPS because it supports "Birds Eye View" in Basecamp
1x Pioneer CD stereo system (cheap nothing special)

The windvane steering I will build myself as per Rory McDougal what he had on "Cookie"

So couple "all that" with exterior running lights and interior light and you end up with an awful lot of cabling running to and fro inside a tiny boat that you have to make provision for. Please believe me with switch panels and fuse boxes and controllers and and and - and it is enough to give any electrician a couple of sleepless nights.

Anyway we getting along just fine and now the boat is "bottoms" up and I am going to build the keel and "battery box" which will remain in storage for now. The idea is to glass the "inner hull" outside and then turn the boat right side up and build the cabin top and sliding hatch systems. Also to get the deck to a 95% finished state. Having the boat flat on the floor without the keel during this process will mean that I avoid the dreaded ladder as much as possible. Once the deck is completed it is very easy to turn the boat over again, install the floatation around the hull and then install the "outer" hull which will be faired nicely and be extra strong.

So folks that the status and the forward planning, so far so good and all's well
Attached Thumbnails
Manie's TEN-1.jpg  Manie's TEN-2.jpg  Manie's TEN-3.jpg  

Manie's TEN-4.jpg  Manie's TEN-5.jpg  Manie's TEN-6.jpg  

Manie's TEN-7.jpg  Manie's TEN-8.jpg  Manie's TEN-9.1.jpg  

Manie's TEN-9.2.jpg  

Old 05-25-2015, 02:42 PM

Rep: 1307 Posts: 1,945
Location: The heights of High Wycombe, not too far from River Thames
Manie,

I hope you have your solar panels.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...when-he-tried-