Manie's Microcruiser

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

He he... Nice avatar there Wynand :D
    Manie could have fitted the boat dioginally into the garage and made it a meter longer.
    He will remember this when he's out there ;)

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Well done Sir...

3. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

manie

when you are doing the chine jointsare you using straight sp106 or did you put micro ballons or what and boat is coming on very lekker

4. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Not me though; representing my country and what better to have an avatar showing the world what the country nowadays stands for and the 45+ million roaming the streets, plundering our homes etc etc....:D :D

Used a picture of one of the more civilized ones that at least combs his hair and knows the meaning of hair gel.

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The chine joints are a mixture of epoxy - cotton flock for strength - and cabosil as thickener - then a layer of 50 mm glass tape - then a layer of 100 glass tape - peelply - waxpaper

Just a note on the size of the boat versus workspace,
    when I started with the design i had to very carefully consider my available workspace and i designed to the absolute maximum, i literally have to open the garage door to work on the transom, and at the bow there is just enough space to walk past. It is absolutely important to have an equal space to that of the boat, that is completely open and clean and flat where you can do panel assembly and general cutting etc. So a note of warning to future boat builders NEVER and i mean NEVER build diagonally across a room to get a bigger boat, when you draw it out carefully diagonally across, what you gain is little, but the loss of workspace is catastrofic.

Boat builders in general dont allow adequate workspace, and that slows the build down a whole lot more than what you think.

:D :D just a link of famous small boats :D :D

http://www.microcruising.com/famoussmallboats.htm

so do you want to get out there and sail and cruise ?
    or are you going to spend the rest of your life dreaming about the condomaran gas guzzler that you cant afford :p

Attached Files:

• 57.jpg
      57.jpg
      File size:
      343.3 KB
      Views:
    • 47.jpg
      47.jpg
      File size:
      396.9 KB
      Views:
  6. colfar5033

colfar5033 Junior Member

manie

looks like you service your car a lot with all those 5 litre emptys:D :D :D

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Teddy,? error 503? on the site

9. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Same here... might be server down or smth.. anyway it worked earlier today. I'll check up later another time..
    Still no answer.. better to wait monday when the geeks get back to work..

10. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Now it works..

Attached Files:

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Wow, a thumbnail of a thumbnail...

12. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

hmm.. don't know how that happened.. maybe I'm a genie with this www.s-h-i-t.com :rolleyes:

13. masalai

masalai masalai

That **** is no good? nothing seems to happen and I have been watching V-E-R-Y carefully for hours... :eek:

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Well so far so good, i had a very good two weeks now of boat building with this past weekend seeing a lot of action.
    At the moment i am sitting on a 180 hours spread over 4 months which gives around 45 hours per month. I could not work on the boat in August as i was too busy at work "trying to make the bucks"
    45 hours a month is a lot more than it seems, it really means that you are at it most evenings and all weekends. These are actual physical work hours, planning and nonsence excluded, which means that the wife and children never see you because you are always busy with boats :p

The "height" of the sides is misleading as it gives the impression that the boat is higher than actual. What is happening here is that i am incorporating the "toe rail" into the sides. This "toe rail" with slots below for drainage, is 70 mm above the deck, 40mm wood rail and then 30mm slots for water run off the deck. I dont like the screwed on steel rails because they are too low to my liking and i dont fancy the idea of all those screw holes into the deck, as well as that they are very expensive here. So basically a toe rail as on the old fishing boats.

Keep in mind that the entire hull is covered inside and out in glass, there will be no visible wood and all surfaces will be painted. I started glassing the transom 750 gm and now i can move forward and glass the hull - 750 gm below the water line and 450 gm above. The outside will be covered entirely in 750 gm

I will get approx 400 litres of floatation (pu foam) under the bunks and in the bow
    I glassed the centreboard so that i can use it as a mould / plug for the centreboard casing. I marked the slot out which i will cut out soon.

The seams of the chines took longer than expected because i could only do them in sections, this is because as the hull is stiffening up i am removing all screws that are holding the panels to the cradle, so effectively the boat will be completely loose from the cradle so that i can glass the inside.

I am looking forward to the next phase which is building the "furniture" in, this is fun because you are actually "building" and you can see things take shape, the job of glassing and filletting is boring and very tedious.

One thing that i found that really speeds things up is to use normal wax paper over the peelply, this means that your roller is always clean and dry and never sticky, so that you can roll down well onto the peelply and get it to set well. It also means that you get perfect saturation of the glass.

enjoy :D

Attached Files:

• 60.jpg
      60.jpg
      File size:
      346.1 KB
      Views:
    • 62.jpg
      62.jpg
      File size:
      361.8 KB
      Views:
    • 68.jpg
      68.jpg
      File size:
      339.5 KB
      Views:
    • 70.jpg
      70.jpg
      File size:
      381.3 KB
      Views:
    • 72.jpg
      72.jpg
      File size:
      369.7 KB
      Views:
    • 73.jpg
      73.jpg
      File size:
      379.8 KB
      Views:
    • 74.jpg
      74.jpg
      File size:
      363.1 KB
      Views:

15. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Was that a real link..? ou s***.. sorry Mas waisting your time.. I was just referring to my own sloppynes with the sh** ;)

Nice work Manie.. I like that waxpaper rolling trikkie..