Manie's Microcruiser

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Sorry to hear about the excessive lead prices in SA Manie, maybe better make it of gold then, you only need 8.28 dm³ of that so the boat will be even faster . . . . :p

This shouldn't be a problem for the big sponsored ocean racers, and as a side effect it wouldn't leave any wrecked racers on the ocean floor. . . . . . :p

Anyway, when extrapolating historical development, a lead or gold bulb would be the only part of the boat that keeps increasing in value, so aside from the sailing benefits it could be a sensible investment . . . . two remarks on that sense though, it needs to be affordable now and the investment has no financial benefits to the investor if the boat outlives him, so steel seems to be indeed the logical choice here . . :(

Cheers,
    Angel

P.S.

What about a wrecking a discarded "free" boat for the lead, or do they all have steel or concrete ballast instead of lead in SA... or would disposal of the rest material be too expensive . . . ? ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    click for source

-- from forum members M&M Ovenden -- new link to pic source --

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. Angélique

About the beavertail bulb question in post #613. I wasn't asking about the aft end of the board, but was asking about the aft end of the bulb, just digged into the forum and found this about the subject...

(from some different threads, click on [​IMG] in the quote if you want to go to that thread & post)
    Hope this clarifies the question in post #613, what bulb form are you gonna use Manie . . . . :)

Good luck !
    Angel

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Geeezzzzz Manie, all this could have been saved by a multihull :D

4. Angélique

Yeah, that would leave you with two cramped spaces to small to live in instead of one livable small space . . . . :p

Rory lives a lot on deck and often in a dry suit (website - blog) . . . . :idea:

Cheers,
    Angel

P.S. - I've added a P.S. about the lead to post #619.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Utter nonsense ! At 1m200 wide and as long as you want it can be made perfectly trailable and wide enough to be comforatable. While you now have two private-from each-other-berthing you also have a deck which is the outdoor area.

Of course if you go THAT small nobody can help you, as a girl you should know that small is no good :D I actually drawed a cat at 7 inch... I mean meters that can be made to work with the basics to stay on the water for a week, at 8m it becomes much better and at 9m or more it gets roomy, you run out of things to put in it.

Why do you want to sleep abeam in a boat ??? :D

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

7. Angélique

1 person likes this.
  8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Almost yes, but nothing in this horrid place goes as planned :(

LOL, I'm not going to say anything. Manie won't be alone though, I'm sure there will be other sailors on the water as well... :D

9. Angélique

[​IMG]
    Wynand, thanks for the extra stability calculations and all the other info, it looks good for Manie . . :)

So I guess one can experimentalize in the described situation what board position suits best there.

It would be nice though, in the event of a capsize with the board up, that the board could be raised (think upside down here) in the inverted positon to put the boat back on her feet.

Manie, an other thing, will there be a facility that locks the board in its position, so the bulb won't fall on the bottom in case of a roll over with the board down ?

Sorry for these horror scenario questions, but they keep bothering my worried mind . . . . . :rolleyes:

Good luck !
    Angel

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Angel, nice info there - good reading!

:) dont worry got that covered
    that is where my "neatness" helps a lot - nothing but nothing will be out of position when she's upside down
    everything is secured
    I have read way to many stories of food and pasta and knives and forks flying all over the show and then when the boat goes back upright all the "loose" items block the bilge pump
    now you can understand why I have all these plastic crates that fit in every where

everything in a box :cool:

the new clear boxes are fantastic - you can see what is inside - like food items

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

:p

well folks
    amongst all this flurry of exitement

:D

'whew' all the questions and what not

:cool:

we know it floats (huraay huraay)

with a bit of luck she will stay upright

with even MUCH more luck she MAY right herself

:eek:

and now (drumroll) she's LEGAL

YEAH MAN

Attached Files:

• 902.JPG
      902.JPG
      File size:
      281.8 KB
      Views:
  12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Whoa.... It's like your hunting dog getting her first collar and tags. Congrats.:)

13. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Hey Angelique...for your viewing pleasure a member has some interesting small cats:
    http://www.ikarus342000.com/CATpage.htm

Congrats Manie...

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Legality

One more step- congratulations!

15. Angélique

And... that isn't even photoshopped ! ! - - [​IMG] Alex Thomson - HUGO BOSS - Keel Walk

Btw, I guess there's a pointy ended bulb here, rather than a Beavertail-Swallowtail design, as the transverse position of a BS bulb on a canting keel doesn't stay parallel to the bottom of the boat, expert opinions welcome on this . . . . . . :)

Cheers,
    Angel