Manie's Microcruiser

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Manie B, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

my bad, thought he had a two stroke :eek:

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Found this by KenTheCanadian on

Yachting and Boating World Forums > Practical Boat Owner's Reader to Reader > Link
    [​IMG] PDF format version of the 201 Parsun flyer.

[​IMG] PDF service bulletin about filter on 5 hp motors.
    * - I'll guess this must be . . . ‘‘push the filter inside the tank’’ . . . but not sure as I haven't seen it for real.

- - And secure the filter wherever it belongs . . :idea:

[​IMG] PDF service bulletin about 5 hp motors gas valve seal (models prior to 2009).
    _parsun_problem_1+2_.JPG some (bad :eek:) copies of the pics from the PDF's
    click pic to enlarge

Good luck !
    Angel

3. Angélique

Hey, you gave great tips about two strokes, maybe some day someone in need finds them and will be grateful for it, so please don't erase them :)

Watson & LP gave great tips as well [​IMG], I'll try to remember those too . . :idea:

Cheers,
    Angel

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Thanks folks for all the info, much appreciated.

My local agent = Motor King and Marine (Leon) is really fantastic, absolutely no problem AND no charge, even if I bought the motor more than a year ago. They definately have plenty of spares.

It seems to be primarily 99% a fuel problem with these motors. They stripped and cleaned the carburettor while I was looking on and gave me some info and "training"
    Time will tell but these 5hp fourstroke engines should be ok, they are in fact very simple little motors, easy to service. A good inline fuel filter is a must.

I would suggest to anybody that takes a new motor out for the first time, leave the boat on the trailer and run the motor "in gear" for 30 minutes. Play safe, it's the right thing to do. In any new installation there can be that hidden bit of dirt just waiting for you, it's Murphy's Law. Once the system has flushed it self your chances are so much better for success.

5. Angélique

When installing it, best remove the standard fuel filter on the tank bottom which can get lose and block the fuel tube, see post#530.

Good luck !
    Angel

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I thought I might re-do that one photo.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. colfar2

colfar2 Junior Member

Fantastic Job Manie always knew you would get her in the water and motor setback was just there to test you :p

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

This past weekend I came right and the fuel problem is sorted.
    The intial problem of dirt in the carb was cleaned and then I had a fuel starvation problem that was solved by re-installing the "bulb" rubber hand pump in a more "upright" position closer to the motor, this really worked well and I will do more test this weekend at Hartbeespoort Dam.

Gents I need help.
    I really like a "balanced lug" rig
    when you look at these videos of "Scamp" it clearly shows that reefing can be done easily from the cockpit and it all happens along the boom.

scamp sailing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0C6Mr1HmPc&feature=related
    this video shows the reefing setup

scamp capsize test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du9lvJNVqnk&feature=related

scamp thread
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?139540-SCAMP-envy-lust

when you consider that Roger Tailor has covered vast distances up north with a junk rig - the balanced lug is not that "different"
    http://www.thesimplesailor.com/voyages.html

I have watched these videos over and over again, studied the pics in finest detail, and the more I like it.
    Problems is that I have never seen such a rig in my country, the "regulars" dont really know what I am talking about ( they actually know very little after all ) and this could very well be a first for this country, I just dont know.

What do you folks think of this rig as a "long distance" open water cruising rig
    Its simplicity is easy to see, far less things to go wrong for a 16 ft boat.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

oh and keep in mind the Corribee (Roger Taylor) has virtually the same LWL as my micro at 16'6"

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I don't remember Phil Bolger's exact wording. But in one of his books, he said the balanced lug rig is so well suited to motor sailors that it's a testament to [something-or-other uncomplimentary] that it isn't used more often.

I think your little mini probably qualifies as a motor sailor....

12. Angélique

Maybe CKD Boats in Cape Town has build one yet . . . . ? ?

Good luck !
    Angel

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Well I have now read most of the Roxane - Romilly pages and I must say the info is just fantastic. Nigel Irens obviously has done well with the balanced lug and the owners love it.

I must add that the S.C.A.M.P. (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project) design by John Welsford is excellent. When you study the videos carefully you can see that the setup for reefing has a lot of experience and expertise behind it.

I was worried that my proposed 17 sq m sail is big - but it is nothing compared to what Roxane carries at 4 times that. Bottom line for me is that folks with a mountain of experience are enjoying the balanced lug under many different weather conditions.

Please keep the comments coming for this sail arrangement, you can understand that I am scared.

I am now working on my electrical installation, solar panels, DB panel, instrumentation and lights and what not else. The electrical is a lot of work. I can now sleep anchored out, so that I get the real feel for the interior.
    I as a "shorty" can move around very easily, but visitors may find the interior "confined" or shall we just cut to the chase and call it "tiny" :p
    Anway the confidence is growing with the towing, because on our "roads" with the "locals" driving, it is a nerve racking "mission impossible"

So far so good, the boat is exactly as planned and everything has worked out just the way it was envisioned. I am a 100% happy and thank my lucky stars that the boat is not even 1" bigger, if anything 6" smaller would also have been OK. Finally I am back on the water which is really what it is all about, now I can play with my "toy" until doomsday.

So if nothing really bad comes out of the woodwork against the balanced lug, I could probably start on that in about 2 months time.

Thanks guys.
    Your input is important.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

CKD doesn't seem to have gotten far either, it seems like the "kit" market is dead. :eek: boating is not beeeg in a 3rd world :eek:
    the locals are "hunter gatherers" ;)