Just build the darn thing.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Scott Carter, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Fisean

Fisean Fishaholic

Very saweeet

Nice post and thanks for the great read, this is my dream someday, and you at least got me off the couch! Looking forward to the report of the maiden voyage....keep us informed!!!

2. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Just build the darn thing, re energised.

Thank you Scott for putting up this thread, I had nearly lost my focus on building my boat until read ' just build the darn thing'. You are right, there wil never be a better time, got to make do with what I have at the moment.

Marshmat, your post had actually put a full stop on my next Merc.Benz - S class.Will just keep what I have now, older S class. Thank you. Now I can concentrate and stay focus for the boat construction. Surprise ..even my family cannot hold back my desire to buy another Merc, but when I read what you had written..'yeah this guy talking the truth..'.

Ari.

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

ok scott time for more pics,,,,,,,longliner

4. Scott Carter

Scott Carter Senior Member

The mast is started!

I've been thinking this thing to death, and then took my own advice. The mast is 85 feet long, birdsmouth construction. There's another informative thread relating to this topic on this forum.
    The first picture is cleaning up the birdsmouth with a rabbett plane (I did the initial cutting with a circular saw). Then the glue up and clamping. Using West epoxy for the glue-up, but I'm adding some stringthening fillets to the interior line of the birdsmouth joints. The last picture is of the planking progress. There've been real challenges here, as the planks are 2" thick!! Above the water line I've opted for treenails, I think I'll finish the topsides bright with West or something. The wood is too beautiful to cover up, I think. The treenail process has been very educational, and it's nice to keep as many building traditions alive as possible.

Attached Files:

5. rayk

rayk Senior Member

What a beauuuuuutiful boat.
    Makes my heart sing!
    I am gonna use the hull photo for my desktop wallpaper, if you dont mind Mr. Carter.

6. Scott Carter

Rayk,
    No problem at all. She's honored that you think so much of her.
    Progress report: We've glued and begun shaping the 10 meter bowsprit. Wow, that's a heavy one. Solid, laminated of three larger timbers then shaped with a gentle taper. Should be a glorious view from way out there (if we ever figure out a way to get it in /:]

7. cudashark

cudashark Senior Member

Way to go Scott

8. Schlundt

Schlundt New Member

I must say im pretty impressed with how far you have gotten with your boat, considering i never thought you would actually start it when i met you in cape pakarang in 2005. congratulations indeed.

9. Scott Carter

She's Floating!

S/Y Lucky is now a genuine S/Y!! We launched in April in an unfinished state as the southwest monsoons have set in. 40+ mph winds have forced us off the beachfront site and into a sheltered marina surrounded by big plastic white boats. They're pretty too, but I can't take my eyes off of Lucky. We're putting the teak on the decks now and finishing off the interior, rigging, ship's systems and sails. Only about a month behind schedule, that'ss go up to 2 months before we're sailing, but that's OK, I get to tlook at the other beautiful wooden boats in the marina while I work (oh, and to steal ideas from them). Sorry about the long absence from this forum, but wooden boat building is so much fun it's all I ever do anymore. But then...we sail!
    These pictures show over a few days of moving out of the boathouse, stepping the masts and then dragging her out into the surf. Arduaous and pretty scary at times, I'd love to say the launch went flawlessly but it didn't, and lasted over two weeks while tug ferries broke down, anchor chains snapped and monsoons spun the boat on her cradle 90 degrees to be broadside to the surf (that was the scary part). But in the end, no damage other than a few lost nights of sleep. Experience is that whole list of stuff that doesn't work, right?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

My gosh, Scott, that yacht is absolutely gorgeous. What a fine job you have done. May she serve you faithfully for many years to come.

11. cudashark

cudashark Senior Member

Very insperational,

12. yipster

yipster designer

compliments Scott, missed this thread, great yacht, well done

13. Scott Carter

s/y Lucky has wet feet!

The build of s/y Lucky is in the home stretch now, about a year after her keel being laid. Her deck hatches are on, helm station complete, teak decks finished, standing rigging (temporary version) rigged and we hoist the gaffs to measure for sails in a few days. Time sure has flown. I imagine anyone who is still reading this thread after a year is probably more interested in seeing some pictures, though, and not in reading any longwinded, nostalgic verse about this experience from me, so I'll keep it brief.
    Just build the darn thing. You'll make mistakes, both mental and physical of varying consequences and ease of covering up or fixing, you won't have enough money sometimes to do things the way you think are the most right or the most beautiful to your eye. You'll be tired, cold or hot and find other things to do because you've run into what appears to be an irrepairable mistake or an insurmountable obstacle. You'll wonder why you ever started it in the first place, too. You'll remember your partner's words likening your list of unfinished projects to the census of the country of China.
    But it doesn't take much to avoid, neglect, circumnavigate, ignore and rationalize your way around these small waves.
    The first time you peer down the hull with her frames set in place and she looks like a boat. The satisfaction of mortising the perfect joint. Each time a visitor comes to see your project and admires and gushes about her beauty and craftsmanship, or gleaning the valuable hint from an old pro that saves you time and produces a better result. The coat of varnish or paint that makes her shine. Learning. The sweet taste of the celebratory launch day bottle (or two) of champagne. And, above all, the even sweeter taste of being at the helm of your boat, the one you built.

Attached Files:

14. Scott Carter

Just 24 more pictures. Enjoy.
    Scott

Attached Files:

15. Scott Carter

Last 6 pictures.
    I'll keep the thread posted as our rig and sails come about.
    Cheers,
    Scott

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.