Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 12-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Fishaholic

Rep: 10 Posts: 6
Very saweeet

Nice post and thanks for the great read, this is my dream someday, and you at least got me off the couch! Looking forward to the report of the maiden voyage....keep us informed!!!

Old 12-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Patience s/o Genius

Rep: 94 Posts: 421
Just build the darn thing, re energised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
This could be dangerous....
Not in terms of seaworthiness I mean... she looks like a gorgeous and very strong boat.
No, I'm talking in terms of getting the rest of us a little too motivated. Took me over a year to scrape Sunset Chaser together, and she's only fifteen feet. Now you've got me seriously thinking about SC II, which will certainly be a lot bigger and pricier. Been drawing for years, trying to figure out exactly what she'll look like.... well, hey, I wouldn't mind sticking to cheap used cars for a while to save up for the next boat.... (heck, I wouldn't mind having ANY car right now. Cheers, Scott- looking forward to seeing more of her!
Thank you Scott for putting up this thread, I had nearly lost my focus on building my boat until read ' just build the darn thing'. You are right, there wil never be a better time, got to make do with what I have at the moment.

Marshmat, your post had actually put a full stop on my next Merc.Benz - S class.Will just keep what I have now, older S class. Thank you. Now I can concentrate and stay focus for the boat construction. Surprise ..even my family cannot hold back my desire to buy another Merc, but when I read what you had written..'yeah this guy talking the truth..'.

Ari.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:51 PM

Rep: 505 Posts: 1,638
ok scott time for more pics,,,,,,,longliner
Old 12-18-2006, 08:39 PM

Rep: 143 Posts: 130
The mast is started!

I've been thinking this thing to death, and then took my own advice. The mast is 85 feet long, birdsmouth construction. There's another informative thread relating to this topic on this forum.
The first picture is cleaning up the birdsmouth with a rabbett plane (I did the initial cutting with a circular saw). Then the glue up and clamping. Using West epoxy for the glue-up, but I'm adding some stringthening fillets to the interior line of the birdsmouth joints. The last picture is of the planking progress. There've been real challenges here, as the planks are 2" thick!! Above the water line I've opted for treenails, I think I'll finish the topsides bright with West or something. The wood is too beautiful to cover up, I think. The treenail process has been very educational, and it's nice to keep as many building traditions alive as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Just build the darn thing.-dsc06587-small.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-dsc06680-small.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-dsc06684-small.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-dsc06559-small.jpg  
Old 12-18-2006, 10:26 PM

Rep: 146 Posts: 297
What a beauuuuuutiful boat.
Makes my heart sing!
I am gonna use the hull photo for my desktop wallpaper, if you dont mind Mr. Carter.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:32 PM

Rayk,
No problem at all. She's honored that you think so much of her.
Progress report: We've glued and begun shaping the 10 meter bowsprit. Wow, that's a heavy one. Solid, laminated of three larger timbers then shaped with a gentle taper. Should be a glorious view from way out there (if we ever figure out a way to get it in /:]
Old 01-06-2007, 08:09 PM

Rep: 120 Posts: 157
Way to go Scott
Old 03-09-2007, 11:41 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 1
I must say im pretty impressed with how far you have gotten with your boat, considering i never thought you would actually start it when i met you in cape pakarang in 2005. congratulations indeed.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:36 PM

She's Floating!

S/Y Lucky is now a genuine S/Y!! We launched in April in an unfinished state as the southwest monsoons have set in. 40+ mph winds have forced us off the beachfront site and into a sheltered marina surrounded by big plastic white boats. They're pretty too, but I can't take my eyes off of Lucky. We're putting the teak on the decks now and finishing off the interior, rigging, ship's systems and sails. Only about a month behind schedule, that'ss go up to 2 months before we're sailing, but that's OK, I get to tlook at the other beautiful wooden boats in the marina while I work (oh, and to steal ideas from them). Sorry about the long absence from this forum, but wooden boat building is so much fun it's all I ever do anymore. But then...we sail!
These pictures show over a few days of moving out of the boathouse, stepping the masts and then dragging her out into the surf. Arduaous and pretty scary at times, I'd love to say the launch went flawlessly but it didn't, and lasted over two weeks while tug ferries broke down, anchor chains snapped and monsoons spun the boat on her cradle 90 degrees to be broadside to the surf (that was the scary part). But in the end, no damage other than a few lost nights of sleep. Experience is that whole list of stuff that doesn't work, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Just build the darn thing.-dsc07533-small.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-dsc07571-small.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-p4080045-small.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-img_1445-small.jpg  
Old 05-18-2007, 08:42 AM

Rep: 2006 Posts: 4,132
My gosh, Scott, that yacht is absolutely gorgeous. What a fine job you have done. May she serve you faithfully for many years to come.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Rep: 120 Posts: 157
Very insperational,
Old 05-27-2007, 09:07 AM
designer

Rep: 1148 Posts: 3,484
compliments Scott, missed this thread, great yacht, well done
Old 07-25-2007, 01:17 PM

s/y Lucky has wet feet!

The build of s/y Lucky is in the home stretch now, about a year after her keel being laid. Her deck hatches are on, helm station complete, teak decks finished, standing rigging (temporary version) rigged and we hoist the gaffs to measure for sails in a few days. Time sure has flown. I imagine anyone who is still reading this thread after a year is probably more interested in seeing some pictures, though, and not in reading any longwinded, nostalgic verse about this experience from me, so I'll keep it brief.
Just build the darn thing. You'll make mistakes, both mental and physical of varying consequences and ease of covering up or fixing, you won't have enough money sometimes to do things the way you think are the most right or the most beautiful to your eye. You'll be tired, cold or hot and find other things to do because you've run into what appears to be an irrepairable mistake or an insurmountable obstacle. You'll wonder why you ever started it in the first place, too. You'll remember your partner's words likening your list of unfinished projects to the census of the country of China.
But it doesn't take much to avoid, neglect, circumnavigate, ignore and rationalize your way around these small waves.
The first time you peer down the hull with her frames set in place and she looks like a boat. The satisfaction of mortising the perfect joint. Each time a visitor comes to see your project and admires and gushes about her beauty and craftsmanship, or gleaning the valuable hint from an old pro that saves you time and produces a better result. The coat of varnish or paint that makes her shine. Learning. The sweet taste of the celebratory launch day bottle (or two) of champagne. And, above all, the even sweeter taste of being at the helm of your boat, the one you built.
Attached Thumbnails
Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-1.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-2.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-3.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-4.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-5.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-6.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-7.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-8.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-9.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-10.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-11.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-12.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-13.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-14.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-15.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-16.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-17.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-18.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-19.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-20.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-21.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-22.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-23.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-24.jpg  

Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Just 24 more pictures. Enjoy.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-25.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-26.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-27.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-28.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-29.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-30.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-31.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-32.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-33.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-34.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-36.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-37.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-38.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-39.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-40.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-41.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-42.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-43.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-44.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-45.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-46.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-47.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-48.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 PM

Last 6 pictures.
I'll keep the thread posted as our rig and sails come about.
Cheers,
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-49.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-50.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-51.jpg  

Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-52.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-53.jpg  Just build the darn thing.-lucky-build-54.jpg