It's been awhile so let's get back up to speed: She:Kon Bateau TW28 modified

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by KnottyBuoyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. KnottyBuoyz

Managed to get my GoPro up on a stick to get a birds eye view! :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

The funny colored stuff on the port side forward is just left over epoxy glue I had that I used to fill the kerfs in the panel. You'll notice the other side doesn't have kerfs. The panels were cut wrong and the kerfs were on the outside. This caused a few problems but it seems to have worked out ok.

4. KnottyBuoyz

Built myself a set of steps to get into and out of the boat. Pulled out the support forms etc. It looks even BIGGER now! Was just admiring my handiwork when I had another one of those WTF have I gotten myself into moments! :p

[​IMG][​IMG]

Web log updated; http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/anot ... s-wtf.html

5. hoytedow

6. KnottyBuoyz

7. KnottyBuoyz

Still sanding in and around the bow area. The old epoxy glue is hard as diamonds! In the first five minutes I managed to destroy one brand new sanding belt and two disks, all 40 grit! The old epoxy just rips it to shreds! :rolleyes:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/bad- ... paper.html

8. KnottyBuoyz

9. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Sanding sucks! I understand the need for speed on a project this big but have you tried a Sureform tool?

10. KnottyBuoyz

Hey Milehog

I have one. I don't like using them on meranti plywood. I got a 2" sliver off of one that came up through the sureform and found it's way past the handle and into the palm of my hand. I don't think there's anything that hurts more than a mahogony sliver.

Sanding inside the hull is done. Vacuumed out. Tomorrow I'll build myself a work bench for 'Inside' the boat and start filling the kerfs etc. Let's hope the weather cooperates awhile longer. Was about 40 F this morning when I went out to the shed in my short sleeve shirt & shorts. :p

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. KnottyBuoyz

Kerfs filled. Started fillets along the side/bottom joint. Almost out of materials so have to wait for more to arrive.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Learned a lesson. Don't step in wet epoxy then walk in the house and across the kitchen floor! :(

Did a walk around tour on video. You'll find that on the blog update; http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/do-n ... epoxy.html

My buddy Andrew's coming by tomorrow morning so we should get the shed roof fixed finally.

12. hoytedow

That floor should last forever now.

13. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Hopefully, you are getting the fillet excesses up before the go hard. They a beach to clean up when they do go hard. Pliable cake batter spatulas are great at filleting and squeegeeing up the excess, all in one fell swoop. Great build. It will be fun to watch her grow now that she is right side up.

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

KnottyBuoyz you must ALWAYS use peel ply on your fillets, it makes the job a hell of a lot easier AND neat AND very little sanding. Use peel ply EVERY time you epoxy, it's a life saver. On the corner fillets just use a rubber roller 1" (25mm) diameter to roll the peel ply on.

Attached Files:

15. KnottyBuoyz

Hey Manie

I know you're right. I should be using peel ply on the fillets or even better taping them wet on wet as I go. This is a one man operation so I kinda have to break it down into smaller steps. These fillets are pretty rough so they'll get a light sanding before the next layer goes on. I hope to be able to get the tape on top of those wet on wet with peel ply. I don't have enough tape left currently to do that. Supplies are ordered and on their way.

I just repaired a couple of joints and used peel ply on those. Pics later.

Hi LP

I use a bondo spreader to clean up the excess goop and use that to fill the various holes left by the stitches. Almost nothing goes to waste. :)

Thanks for looking in fellas.