It's been awhile so let's get back up to speed: She:Kon Bateau TW28 modified

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by KnottyBuoyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I believe so. The weakest point I have is the ground stake which will hold the load at the top of the gin pole at 1600 to 1900 lbs. The kick stand I put on the gin pole should take a lot of the strain of it wanting to fall forward under load. I'll test it first and if it's not going to be enough I'll run a cable from my Jeep to the top of the Gin pole about 75' away. That's as close as I can get it.

The next weakest point is 3/16" cable on the electric winch at 4000 lbs breaking strength.

I figure the hull with the turning frames is about 1300 lbs. As it tips over 45 degs the max strain will be applied to the main hoist. We won't have any way to arrest a fall should the bottom want to skip out except two 1/2" tag lines on cleats.

Everything else is over sized. The ratchet straps are 20,000 lbs. The u bolts are 17,000+ lbs. The gin pole is a 6X6 has a compressive strength of 26,000 lbs and a buckling force of 7600 lbs. The 2x6 longitudinals (I'll be lifting on these) have a buckling strength of about 400 lbs in a 12' unsupported span, they'll be diagonally braced reducing the actual unsupported span to about 1' for 4400 lbs capacity.

I'll check my numbers again tonight.

Thanks Hoyt.

2. KnottyBuoyz

Was doing some more Friggin' with the Riggin' again today. The 8 ton pulley blocks I got aren't exactly ideal for this situation so there'll be some more 'Backyard Eyeball Engineering' going on!

[​IMG][​IMG]

I think the correct Engineering term for the picture above is 'Cluster ****!'. Yup, that's right. Nailed that one right on the head!

Got more ponderin' to do on how to fix that mess.

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/frig ... again.html

Standby.....

3. KnottyBuoyz

This morning I finished Friggin' with my Riggin'! I bought a 1' section of 5/16" chain to hang the pulley block from. Worked perfectly. Replaced the hook with two 5/16" Quick Links and it now has freedom of movement needed.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also finished up the last beam on the turning frames.

[​IMG][​IMG]

So that's it. Turning frame & rigging is DONE! Next step is the dissembly of the strongback & forms so I can lower the hull & turning frames to the floor.

More pics etc. on the web log. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/done ... iggin.html

4. KnottyBuoyz

So I got friends out there on the Interwebs. Friends who know stuff I don't. Thank the Heavenly Boat Maker! :D

Last iteration (I hope).

[​IMG]

What I failed to recognize is that the cable end hook and the pulley block will rotate upwards and outwards away from the pole as the hull rotates. The cable hook will go almost (if not over) 90 degs outwards and the pulley block will move outwards about 45 degs.

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Good save.

6. KnottyBuoyz

Spent most of the day ripping out the remainder of the strongback frame. There was carnage everywhere! :p

[​IMG][​IMG]

I was just cuttin' and sawin' and hammerin' and unscrewin' and tossin' the stuff out from under the boat!

[​IMG][​IMG]

The hull is now resting comfortably in her rolling frames on the ground!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Web log updated with more details and a video walk around of the boat I did this morning. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/carn ... -shed.html

Cheers!!!

7. hoytedow

That's great!

8. KnottyBuoyz

That's it. It's rigged to roll over. Trying to put together a crew for Saturday. Other than some housekeeping there's not much else I can do now. It's going over come hell or high water!

Ground anchors are in & straps attached. I couldn't get the one on the right down any further, hit rock.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Couldn't resist the urge and lifted the hull with the winch. It worked perfectly. No moans or groans or cracking. The Gin Pole was rock solid and never flexed at all.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Suspended on the winch. I left it there for 5 mins with no problem.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Web log updated; http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/its- ... -over.html

9. KnottyBuoyz

This morning was just some housekeeping tasks. Tomorrow I likely won't get anything done, taking the kid to the airport for his next big adventure in Alberta!

Through the wormhole!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Battery for winch getting charged!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Screwed these 2X6's to the bench. If the frame wants to come down on it they'll redirect it to the floor.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last look. I'll remove the shed doors before the flip so we'll get a better view as it goes over.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm scared shitless! :eek:

10. KnottyBuoyz

We've got some bad weather headed this way for tomorrow morning so I'm going to postpone the flip. I would need people outside the shed to handle tag lines etc. and I can't really ask them to do it standing in the rain. Will try again for next weekend. Sorry.

11. hoytedow

Better safe than really sorry. We will wait.

12. KnottyBuoyz

It was a good call. We got hammered last night. Been raining steady since. There's 2" of water in the shed.

Standby...

13. KnottyBuoyz

14. KnottyBuoyz

Hull flipping day! A little more than 2 hrs and it'll be going over. Guts are in a knot. Shouldn't have had nacho's with jalapenos last night. :rolleyes:

GoPro's charged up & ready to go. Sipping my last coffee & waiting for the team to arrive.

15. KnottyBuoyz

It's done! Went pretty much as planned. A few minor hiccups but the boat is unharmed and everyone is safe. Had plenty of help. More details later on the blog update.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I need RUM!

2 people like this.