It's been awhile so let's get back up to speed: She:Kon Bateau TW28 modified

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by KnottyBuoyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

3. KnottyBuoyz

You can't win 'em all as they say. I lost today's round. It started out warm in the shed and got hotter, quickly. I was hoping to get the keel & bottom covered then let it tack so I could hot roll on the anti-foul as per mfgr's recommendation. Couldn't do it. The heat and the amount of real estate I had to cover beat me. I was pushing too hard to try to get it done and ended up making a mess while the primer kicked off in the paint tray. So now I've consigned my self to having to sand the keel & bottom one more time. Small price to pay I think to be able to work at a more comfortable pace. The sides have two coats of primer and the transom has three. That's all they'll get unless they need more at final fairing before shiny paint goes on.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I know it's hard to tell from the pics but it turned out pretty good. I'm happy with it.

So tomorrow's task is to get the second coat of primer on the bottom panels. That'll sit for a day or two then I'll sand them to key the surface for the anti-foul. I have to mark the water line and mask off the sides before that stuff goes on.

There's a few more details & pics on the web log if you're interested. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/i-lo ... round.html

Standby...

4. KnottyBuoyz

Just a lil' bit more

That's it. Hull is primed. Two coats on absolutely everything plus an extra coat on the transom and bow. I'm done with primer. Terribly messy stuff to work with. I was sort of hoping the paint sprayer would eliminate a lot of the work but that didn't work out as planned. :-( Oh well, it is what it is. I figure it took me 20 hrs to get both coats on over 4 days. This morning's session was only a couple of hours. I used up all the paint. Four gallons in total.

Rest of today I'm going to organize my hardware etc. for the Gin Pole. Have to move some stuff around and start digging the hole for the pole. Might even start rigging the pole. Dunno yet. My hands are killing me again. Maybe it is time to get sanding again! ;-)

Taking tomorrow off to let the primer firm up then I'll lightly sand the keel & bottom panels for anti-fouling. Hopefully that'll go a lot quicker.

Standby.

5. KnottyBuoyz

Took the day off from boat building. Went and saw some old friends. Just like in the song it's good for the soul. :D

Anyhow, having a day off leaves lotsa time to think. I was reflecting on all the work that went into prepping the outside of the hull, most of which was due to my own inexperience and I've reconsidered doing a vacuum resin infusion of the inside of the hull. I put together a rough estimate of the costs of materials to do that and the rationale behind the decision in my latest blog update:

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/see-some-old-friends.html

I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to do it this way. I just have to gather all the ingredients to make it happen. The downside is it won't happen till next spring but that's ok.

6. KnottyBuoyz

I should have had some anti-fouling on the bottom of the keel by now but things sorta went off the tracks yesterday. I started to lightly sand the keel & bottom to prep it for anti-foul and immediately burned right through the primer. Doh! Anyhow, what to do, say 'screw it' or 'roll on more primer? I don't have any primer left so off to the store in Ottawa I go! *sigh*

I do apologize for the delay in flipping this tub. All the good intentions in the world don't add up to a hill of beans in my world! :(

[​IMG][​IMG]

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/best-laid-plans-of-mice-and-men-often.html

More sandinsanity to come. Standby....

7. KnottyBuoyz

One last coat of primer going on the keel & bottom panels.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This one is an industrial grade underwater epoxy primer. It came highly recommended by a fellow boat builder so I thought I'd give it a try. Once this is on I'll put some antifouling on the bottom of the keel then flip this pig over.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Please try to video the flip.

9. KnottyBuoyz

Just like NASCAR, you're only watching for the crashes eh hoyt? :p

10. hoytedow

11. KnottyBuoyz

I knew it! ;)

I'm done with primer & bottom coat. There's nothing left I have to do to the boat before I flip it. Probably a couple of weeks till that happens. Can you contain your excitement? :p

12. hoytedow

I will make an effort.

13. KnottyBuoyz

Ok, now before you jump down my back about the anti-fouling on the bottom I just want to say I contacted the mfgr and told them what it was I intended to do. They said it will be fine. I'll have to abrade it with a scotchbrite pad & recoat before it goes in the water. I did my homework on that point.[/rant]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

The boat is horribly out of level from 3 yrs of sitting on cement blocks. I'll mark the waterline etc. once it's flipped and re-leveled.

There's a couple more pics on the the web log: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/pics ... mised.html

14. KnottyBuoyz

Started rigging up the Gin Pole. I updated our blog but to keep it short here it is in a nutshell.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6 X 6 to transfer weight to the ground. Rigging is almost all 1/2" hardware. Lifting power comes from a 2500lb 12V winch with 1/4" cable. Dragging the rolling frame sideways will be with a small hand winch like you find on a trailer.

I used 1/2" u-bolts. The upper one is for the load. The lower one is for the ratchet straps that'll hold the pole in place.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Rest of the details if you're interested are on our blog: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/gin- ... gging.html

Bringing in the lumber to build the rolling frames this afternoon.

Standby.

15. KnottyBuoyz

Gin Pole went up a lot easier than I thought it would. :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

Used the electric winch I rigged into the ridge of the shed to lift it into place. I thought it might be a two man job but managed it on my own. Just kept running from side to side as I lifted it a few feet at a time. Worked flawlessly.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Web log updated with a lot more pics & details: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/08/lot- ... ought.html