It's been awhile so let's get back up to speed: She:Kon Bateau TW28 modified

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by KnottyBuoyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I knew I could count on you Hoyt! :D

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

So that's why you have cricket bats!?

3. KnottyBuoyz

Bats in my belfry maybe Hoyt! :p

Back into the shed after some family business & nasty weather got in the way. Mixed up some goop and bedded the aft section of the stringers in place. This is really hard on my hands mixing glue so I pulled the ole' Lady's hand mixer out of the kitchen and whipped up a few batches! ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

After some putzin' around I managed to get the aft section of the stringers bedded, filleted and taped (just one layer before my hands gave out).

[​IMG][​IMG]

Fillets turned out pretty good this time. I used a cut up bondo squeegee.

[​IMG][​IMG]

A few more pics & such on the blog update today: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/10/bedd ... ngers.html

Standby....

4. KnottyBuoyz

The rumours of my early demise at the hands a an infuriated 'Kitchen Gadgetista' are over exaggerated! :D That is a $1 yard sale mixer the ole' Lady picked up for me a few years ago. We've burnt out 2 or 3 so far mixing glue. See the ole' Woman and I have an arrangement. She doesn't mess with my power tools and I don't mess with her kitchen gadgets!

But I have been down for the count for almost 3 days. Inner ear infection. Right side deaf as a post. Tinnitus and pain. On antibiotics now. Shouldn't take too long to clear that up. Managed to haul my butt out to the shed today before the winds kick up. Didn't really feel like crawling around the bottom of the boat finishing the bedding & fillets for the stringers so I decided to lay out a layer of glass on the two aft bulkheads.

[​IMG][​IMG]

These are just offcuts laying around and I had planned to use them for just this purpose. The two aft bulkheads being solid won't hurt from being totally enclosed in glass.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Plenty of neat epoxy rolled on and soaked up by these panels.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gooped & peel plied. They look a little dry. Dunno why. I dumped extra epoxy on there and squeegeed them well. Gotta keep my eye on them. I did lift the peel ply and the glass underneath is thoroughly soaked through. Could just be that cheap peel ply. I'll be glad when it's gone.

Tomorrow I'll flip those panels over and do the other side.

Standby.....

5. KnottyBuoyz

Here's a video from a builder in Turkey who has been producing the TW28 design for a few years. They also stretched the hull 2' from what I can tell the extra length went into the forward cabin space.

https://youtu.be/yN80fPjeXxA

Ours will be approx. 1' 5" longer and the stretch is in the main cabin space.

I'm finished building for the season. Brought in the epoxy from the shed yesterday. I may tinker a little here and there but for the most part the building season is over. [​IMG]

We'll see you back in the spring!

Cheers!

6. hoytedow

Enjoy your winter!

7. KnottyBuoyz

We had white sh*t falling from the sky yesterday. High temp was 27 F! Brrrrrrr!

Hard to think that 'season 5' is now over and still working on the hull.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Back to work in 2 weeks to refill the project kitty. Hopefully there'll much more progress next year.

Stand down.

8. KnottyBuoyz

Sorry fellas. Forgot about you bunch again! I've been back at the boat for 7 weeks now. Working on the stringers & engine beds and about to install (weather permitting) the main bulkhead. Got a late start due to contract work with the gubment (which helps pay for this debacle). :p

I'd like to spend the next hour bringing you all up to date but you can read it all on our blog if you like. I'll do my best to keep you current from now on.

Cheers!!!

www.she-kon.com

Rick

9. hoytedow

Thanks for the link.

Enjoy your summer!

10. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Looking good Rick, keep rolling !

11. KnottyBuoyz

Main bulkhead tabbed in. I'll finish it up today. I left about a 3/16" gap all around so the bulkhead isn't touching the hull.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Updated the web log. There's another video but it's looooooong! I mysteriously turned into a Chatty Cathy for some reason! :p

https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/07/ordinary-day.html

12. KnottyBuoyz

Took a few days off and went on a lil' road trip to Syracuse NY with the Admiral. She was all hot to trot to get into Hobby Lobby and buy buy buy stuff! I went along if I was allowed in Harbor Freight Tools unsupervised and with no limit on my Credit Card! :D

Part of the haul from HF.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This lil' trip is usually an annual pilgrimage but it's been a few since we last made the drive. I like their stuff. It's 'good 'nuff' to last the duration of my project.

Back in the shed today. Got the forward edge of the main bulkhead filleted and taped (2 layers so far). Gotta check the instructions to see how many are recommended. I'll add at least 1 more 12 oz 8" tape.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And the stbd side.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It was 32C (90F) in the shed but with all the fans going it was actually pretty comfortable. Had to work quick though, I could feel the epoxy warming up quick in the cup!

Back at it again tomorrow.

Cheers!

13. hoytedow

It looks real good.

14. KnottyBuoyz

15. KnottyBuoyz

Too hot in the shed and had to bail about 11:00 when it was 34C or about 95F. Did manage to get the port side engine bed covered in basalt fabric. That's done now.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Really really like that basalt. Wish I had a lot more of it. It wets out very easily, drapes and conforms to all kinds of odd shapes. And that's a fairly heavy fabric too at 22 oz/sq yd.

Anywho, bit more nonsense on the web log updated today: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/07/tem ... ising.html

For anyone who's having problems seeing the pics here's the link to the Photobucket folder with all the boat pics: http://s237.photobucket.com/user/Knotty ... t=3&page=1

Time to take the ole' rust bucket for a cruise!

Standby....