If you have designed a boat do you have to win the lotto to build it?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Bertram, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Bertram

Bertram Marshall Series

or can you get a big boat company to help you out?

I am asking this question because i dont know what to do next please help me out:)

2. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

What phase are you in now? What kind of "help" do you mean? Like knocking the price down?

3. Bertram

Bertram Marshall Series

yes knocking the price down or even better supplying the parts

I know this might sound weird but i wanted to know that if you could give them your plans and a permit to mass produce the boat or whatever you call it in exchange for a finished product

and in an answer to your first question, I only have a base design i havent even started building yet.

4. frosh

frosh Senior Member

This would be the weirdest posting I have read in months. What sort of boat have you designed? Is it revolutionary, and are you sure there is a significant demand for your design. If you are not sure about this, why would a big manufacturer want to build your design as a production boat and let you have one at cost or whatever? What is your qualification to design boats, just so we know this as well?
    Your name is Bertram, right? Are you related to the famous Bertram Cruiser Boat proprietors? (Sorry, couldn't resist this one. :) )

5. Bertram

Bertram Marshall Series

I know this is weird I just wanted to know if it was possible and i dont have any qualification yet as I said before I was just wondering.

As for your last question no I am not related to the famous Bertram Cruiser Boat proprietors I just like their boats.

I dont know if there is any significant demand for my design.

I am new here just to let you know

6. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

Frosh, another classic ......

7. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

It would have to be one seriously hot boat. Something they think everyone would want to buy. So MY answer is no, they wouldnt. But if you give them your plans and a bunch of money they would exchange it for a final product. Maby if you were a famous designer.
    Do you have any drawings to show us? Lets see 'em!

8. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Bertram, welcome to the forum. Hope you learn lots here and most of all, have some fun. Forget about any large companies doing you any favours, it has not happened to any of us, so why should you be so lucky?

If you are indeed capable of designing a reasonable boat go for it and let some-one check it and give you constructive criticisms. Post in on the forum if possible and you will get lots of opinions and maybe some help. Then be prepared to accept some suggestions and keep an open mind.
    But if you expect to eventually own the boat you design, then keep it within your financial ability to acquire, as unfortunately none of us will give you the money to build it.
    By the way I found out there never was a Mr Bertram who started Bertram cruisers. You can trace the history of the brand and the current owners on Google. :)

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Bertram,
    A big question is, what is this boat for. If it's for calm lakes and rivers, and will never be beyond swimming range of shore, then do-it-yourself could be an attractive option. But if you want it to go offshore, or in heavy seas, or if there's the slightest chance it could be caught out in the open- you'd be well advised to get a practising NA on board before you go much farther. Unless you can tell me off the top of your head, right now, what the maximum bending moment in the second stringer from your keel is and what the minimum safety factor on that part is, or what the angle of vanishing stability is in a standard load condition, you probably need the help of someone who knows how to design hulls and their structures.
    There are plenty of boatyards that will build a one-off for you, for a fee. But production builders have their own NAs and stylists, and will certainly not be interested in buying the rights to a design by a relatively unknown newbie.

10. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Well, I am interested in the lottery part, I am afraid I have SPAM all those innocient email coming to my address and missed a chance for boatbuilding. But as they say most big company have in house designer or associate that do design for them, tell me if you found one..... now where is that clover?

11. Bertram

Bertram Marshall Series

Thanx for your info guys,

I will post my design as soon as possible.

Cheers;)

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The answer to your question 'If you have designed a boat do you have to win the lotto to build it' ---- yes

13. Bertram

Bertram Marshall Series

I was waiting for an answer like that and that seems right

o'well we can still wish

14. Rookie

Rookie New Member

hello there. there are other options though. you can just send it overseas like here (philippines) and maybe we can discuss something. I know there are a lot of good designers here in the forums but having a hard time mass producing their boats.We can fabricate and manufacture your boat. I mean this is your other options other than winning a lottery. anyone interested just leave me a message and I will be glad to answer your questions.Thank you all.

15. yipster

yipster designer

and design :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.