how do you register as a"home built boat" in NJ

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by tomh, Aug 14, 2003.

1. tomh

tomh New Member

i recently bought a total fixer upper house boat and plan to rebuild the boat from the hull up. Does anyone know how I can register this boat in NJ. The boat had no title when I purchased it.:?:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

You might have to go through the abadoned vehicle process. Maybe the State Police Marine Unit can help. Also check with the DMV. I had a 12 foot aluminum boat that didn't have a title. They wanted me to put an ad in the paper. If the last owner that had it registered saw the ad, he could contact me and we could take care of the paperwork. If not, I would have to go through the court system and it would cost me about $300 and a couple months of my time. Maybe it will be easier for you. Good Luck