home made pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by alabama mike, Jul 24, 2008.

1. alabama mike

alabama mike Trying to learn something

I know its been brought up before, but I have a thought I'd like some input about. would aluminium beer kegs work as a pontoon? I have the ability to weld aluminium so I could weld them end to end and make the pontoon as long as I wanted.

My thought is to make a the pontoon boat, but instead of an outboard motor I want to try a side wheeler design. I really think It would be neat, and something you don't see that much. Thoughts?

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Paddlewheel boat were typically used for shallow draft and so a flat bottomed boat would be most appropriate unless you were intending to go to sea. I think paddlewheels are neat, too. I have the notion that the beer kegs would be better used on the paddlewheel(s). Not sure though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.