home built mooring system

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Charlyipad, May 24, 2015.

1. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

Just spoke with an insurer about liability, and he is getting together a quote. One thing I learned from the conversation that I hadn't thought of is that they will require that I have a hurricane plan, and that 99% of the time they require you to haul the boat. I may have to re think the whole thing. Still learning about that.

Sam Sam I may have to come up your way and shop around for a good place to roll her out on the hill.

2. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

I did a lot of research on mooring design when I was down in Puerto Escondito Mexico. I had a mooring there which was two huge concrete blocks with about 75 feet of 3/8 chain in 25 feet of water. The blocks were sunk into the sand bottom with only the top showing.
    What type of bottom you are dealing is just as important as the mooring itself. I even ran across the US Navy's design guidelines for moorings.
    One of the most novel moorings I ran across was using the brake drums and wheels off of an 18 wheeler. 2 wheels and 2 brake drums bolted together weighted about 350 Lbs as I recall. Then use 1" chain with the length equal to the water depth and then 1/2" chain with the length equal to 2 times the water depth up to the mooring ball with 15' of nylon anchor rode from the mooring ball to the boat. This mooring would work in sand or mud but probably not in rocks. I also ran across a mention of a mooring in a rocky bottom made out of concrete and rebar. A form was made out of plywood and lowered to bottom. The water was some how removed and concrete was pumped into the form which also filled in around the rocks anchoring the mooring to the bottom.
    So there are lots of ways to make a mooring. It just has to be designed to work with the bottom and the size of your boat. Not something to fool around with. Probably best to engage the services of a marine engineer with experience in mooring design.
    Good luck with your project

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.