Help needed with botched epoxy.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Homefront, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Homefront

Homefront Junior Member

Of course it happens on the last coat.

The hardener pump sucked air, so I finished the 2:1 (RAKA 127 & 608) mix by eye and one or the other was off.

In a few small areas the epoxy is now tacky and turns white and gooey when wet with water.

What is the best way to remedy this? Does the bad stuff have to come off and if so, what's the best way of doing it?

I would like to get the last coat completed this weekend while I have the weather.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, the bad stuff has to come off. Sorry, but this is the only route you can take. Wipe up what you can, use scrapers for the bulk and eventually you have to waste a bunch of sand paper. Sometimes solvents can help, but usually you just smear it around.

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

You know it would be great to have a library of common problems.
    Then we could just say the answer is #37.
    We could even put in all the alternate suggestions and have people vote on what they support (with their name).

Less personal but easier. There must be 5 of these in the last month.

1 person likes this.
  5. Homefront

Homefront Junior Member

Thanks guys, that was what I was afraid of.

Oh well, the weekend will be nice weather. I was just hoping to sand and paint, but it will have to wait.

Scrape, then sand, then re-coat.

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

NOT VINEGAR !!!

It works, but you may not get a good bond when you re-apply the epoxy.

The other stuff, especially Acetone, is the go

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most of the time, the solvents don't do much, except on bulk gooey areas, where a putty knife is about as effective. Generally, you have to scrape up the majority, then start with the sander. If it's real bad, you can pour wood flour over the whole mess, grinding it in with a gloved hand, then continue the scraping process or move to the sander. The wood flour will help save some sand paper from clogging so quickly. My point is, solvents tend to come back and haunt you, later in the refinishing process.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.