Gel coat rough tape pulls

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Boaterhead, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Boaterhead

Boaterhead New Member

I am shooting gel into a mound and am having rough tape pulls. The gel will be starting to kick in random spots along the tape line even though I started my last pass at my pull tab and went around and finished. Clear coat then pulling 1/8 clear break/double stack tape top layer. Then shooting flake then pulling tape line. Tape line against the mold rough pulls. I notice it more when there is humidity.

2. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

One of my co-workers had a problem similar to what you are describing but it was not on a boat. He was painting a guitar using the largest flake He could find. It was not the House of Color Flake a few of us had used before that time. I always blamed it on the size of the flake and the very heavy application doing a better job of sticking together than the paint. A few of the guys agreed and some didn't. But, none of us were professional painters and had not painted over 15 or 20 cars among the six of us.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.