Framing Question

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by kaioken, Jun 22, 2006.

1. kaioken

kaioken New Member

Should I used marine grade plywood as my frames when building with divinycell, or can I get away with something a little cheeper? Seeing how they are going to be removed and replaced after I do my layups with fiberglass? Also what is some methods used for setting up my frames to keep them inline? (I have seen some people use an I-Beam)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use any plywood. I set a frame around the middle plumb and square. Then use spacers to set the others.

3. chandler

chandler Senior Member

A 2x ladder frame works well. Space the joist to coincide with the mold spacing, keeping in mind to go forward of the spacing in the aft sections and aft in the foraward sections. Get the midsection perfectly plumb and square then measure from there.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.