Formula for Boat Length Vs Beam

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Captain Pugwash, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Captain Pugwash

Captain Pugwash New Member

Hi.

I know there is not going to be an exact answer here, but I'm looking for a general guide for how the length of a boat affects it's beam.

For example, if you have a 12 metre motoryacht, then what would be it's likely approximate beam. If you had a 14 metre motoryacht, is there a general formula that would support what it's beam would have increased by - and so on.

Is it linea, or does the ratio/formula alter as you move towards 20m+ boats, etc.

I am looking for the general ratio/formula for both sailboats and motoryachts.

Can anyone help?

Thankyou

CP.

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

It's not possible to find a simple formula.
    You can try to collect data from boats you like and put them in a spreadsheet. Then if you plot beam vs length you will see the dots are spread around a curve, maybe. Short boats have relative more beam than long boats. L=2.5 x B for a small dingy for example.

It's more like this:
    You want a boat of a certain size to carry something, or you want so many bathrooms etc, then you find you need a certain length and beam, then you estimate weight, and if you want a specific speed you estimate power, add more weight for the engine(s) and fuels and start again.

For a given length, displacement, speed and power there may be an ideal beam, but most boats are compromises as you know :)

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.