Folding Schooner as First Boat?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Vvortex3, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

What is wrong with tubs? :)
    There must be a nice tub out there under 2 sheets in length for 4 people.

2. Jamie Kennedy

3. LP

LP Flying Boatman

4. Jamie Kennedy

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Tubs get boring, IMO.

The also sail poorly, typically especially to windward.

6. Jamie Kennedy

This is true, but tub can be a relative term. The most important thing is a good design so it sails as well as it can for it's displacement-length ratio and it's function. I think I like this lug yawl sail plan better than the other, and I like the idea of a smaller cuddy for a bigger cockpit, but the ability to extend it with a dodger, and a tent when anchored. But it is a very pretty boat just as it is, and I think you could seat four reasonably well. Nothing wrong with having one person sit or stand in the companionway, or on the cabin. You could also build it with a deeper heavier centerboard with this rig compared to the leg of mutton ketch. You could also make the rig taller. Just one more panel. Beautiful boat though. It really is. :)

http://www.cmdboats.com/catbird16_yawl.htm?cart_id=6179b5645d2b1ed12a20f560ea2a17ba

[​IMG]

7. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

It's my understanding that yawl rigs will typically sail faster and closer to windward if you take down the mizzen.
    That undoubtably depends upon the main mast being farther aft to give some semblance of balance without the mizzen.

It does look "cute".

8. Jamie Kennedy

I always thought the main function of the mizzen was to give an OCD skipper something extra to fiddle with to give his crew a break.

9. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Definitely doable, but I think that it is the scale that would be overwhelming for a first build. My first build was this:

http://www.cmdboats.com/mbirdk.htm

At 16', I would not have wanted to do anything bigger with its construction technique. The construction technique of the folding schooner is so different and less labor intensive that a bigger build is certainly possible for a first timer. I've been done with my 16'er for over ten years and I would say that the boat has been too small for at least 8 of those years.

My recommendation would be to go one of two directions. Build a much smaller boat using the construction method of your choice for the larger boat. This will cut your teeth on building a boat in that style of construction without a lot of time or money invested in the project. Or, jump in with with something a little bit larger, but not over whelming, that wil suit your needs for a longer spell.

The more I look at the folding schooner, the more I see how it fits Vortex's need for a compactly stored boat, but still maintain a suitable amount of capacity. Focusing on each hull piece as a boat in itself could keep the work to bite sized pieces while working towards the much larger goal. Too bad the forward hull couldn't be sailed by itself.

10. Vvortex3

Vvortex3 Junior Member

Yeaaah, I am still leaning towards the folding schooner. I just bought the book "Boatbuilding for Beginners (And Beyond)" because I really like how he clearly describes each step of a flat-iron skiff's construction. I suppose I should spend the $50 and buy the original-sized plans from Payson then rather than attempting to use the miniature plans in my Bolger book?

As a first step, I was thinking to attempt to figure out exactly how much wood is needed by drawing each panel to scale on paper. Marine plywood can only be purchased via self-import here in Japan.

1 person likes this.
  11. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Spend the money for the plans.
    Trying to do something out of a book is very short sighteded economy.
    How much do you think you are going to spend overall?
    You need to add 50% to that, especially in Japan.

FYI, I built a kit kayak in Nagoya in my living room, tried to go cheap by not buying a $100 4x4 and "ruined" the $900 kit. I've been angry at my self about the boat for 15 years.

12. LP

LP Flying Boatman

2nd that!

$50 is a such a drop in the bucket compared the the total cost of the build that it doesn't make sense not to buy it.

13. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Hartley T S 16. ?. Sails Well And Carrys A Good Load. Designed For First Time Builders. Much Nicer Than A Butt Ugly Bolger.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jamie Kennedy

15. Vvortex3

Vvortex3 Junior Member

I have to admit, the Hartley TS16 is slightly appealing. Damn you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.