Fiberglass hull building question

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Sgray, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Sgray

Sgray Junior Member

Hello everyone I am working on building a boat but do not know to much about fiberglass. But the question is at hand making a mold can anyone tell me what is the steps in building a mold does the gelcoat come first are what. What comes first,second and so one until the mold should be complete and what size oz fiberglass mat should be used and what kind of fiberglass be used bidirectional,tridirectional,chopped, are what well as yall can see im lost but let me know need everyone response that know about this subject.

2. Lew Morris

Lew Morris Industrial Designer

everything you ever wanted to know...

check out this website.

http://www.fibreglast.com

go to the Info Center tab in the brown bar at the top.

it's all there... mold making, materials, etc.

there is also a forum on boatbuilding.

i don't think you will be disappointed.

3. sharkeymarine

sharkeymarine 2 Fins Up!!

BOAT BUILDING

I have a step by step process of how a boat is made on my website. With a mold, just picture it as a mirror image. You will be building onto a plug, and the finished side will be facing in.
    No need to spend alot of money on the bi-directional glasses for a mold. Afterall, you want to build thickness and roving would accomplish that.
    Checkout my site: WWW.SHARKEYMARINE.COM and click onto " Boat Building".
    You will aslo find some helpful LINKS on the bottom of the page.
    Good Luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.