Fiberglass canoe layup

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by hardguy007, Dec 26, 2015.

1. hardguy007

hardguy007 Junior Member

Hi

Got myself a 15ft Canadian canoe mould and was wondering of a layup schedule. I have experience with Fiberglass as I've build a few boats from moulds and done numerous repairs. Not really wanting a mixed schedule if possible. I was thinking a layer of gel then 3 layers of 450gsm matt. What's your thoughts?

2. hardguy007

hardguy007 Junior Member

Here's a photo

Attached Files:

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Sounds about right, dont know if you have a deck mold too. You're going to need a batten keel glassed over and seat risers glassed in too. That sheerline will need some help as well if there's no deck molding & of course some buoyancy tanks..

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

40 ounces of CSM is heavy, though not uncommon on a 'glass canoe, if speed of production is desired. I'd suggest two layers of 1208, mat down over the gel, maybe with a 4 - 6 ounce (135 - 200 GSM) cloth as the exposed layer for finish. Maybe some coremat down first, then the combo fabrics.

5. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Definitely worth using a fine tissue or cloth next to the gelcoat, unless you want a lot of 'imprinting' a bit later on. Even pro stuff will sink after a couple of years but only by a minute fraction. Definitely do not use as heavy as 450gsm next to the surface, 200gsm is usually OK'ish or a real fine tissue first, then 200gsm. Also check compatibility of the cloths/tissues with the resins. Not all are compatible with both epoxy and polyester, assuming the latter for your build.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.