Fiberglass box, one more question?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Jackie, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Jackie

Jackie Junior Member

At the bottom of this fiberglass box off to one side is a 10" pipe that has to be sealed not to leak. We have to cut a hole in our new fiberglass box and then seal around the pipe. The pipe is a rusted cast or steel pipe. We need a good bond from fiberglass to this rusted steel? This pipe is about 3/16 thick so we can grind to clean it up. Thanks Fiberglass Jack, toot and Richard for advice on my other post. Do you or any one else have a solid seal answer?
    Jackie

2. Toot

Toot Senior Member

In Aviation, the typical resin for bonding metal to FRP is Hysol. They make a goopy thick light-gray-colored epoxy resin that is very good.

I don't know if marine applicators use something different, but I'd check out Hysol.

3. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

i take it the tank is not going to be presurised, so to save some time and money heres a way that i learnt doing industrial tanks and pipe work ,first cut the hole then grind both the inside and outside of the pipe and the inside and outside of the tank , 2nd place the pipe flush to the hole of the tank and brace it in place use duct tape or anything just to hold her in place ,3rd cut some matt to size for the inside of the tank and pipe what you are going to do is glass the pipe to the tank from the inside this way gravity will prevent any leaks ,to cut the matt use a circle shape the pipe is 10 inches make the diameter 20 this will give u a 5 inche flange cut a circle say 2 inches in the center make atleast 10 layers for strenght and stagger them 18 19 20 21 etc so you dont end up with a big edge wet say 5 layers at once on a piece of plastic this way you can carry it to the hole them flip it over the hole evenly take the plastic of and with a brush gently push the glass into place the binding in the mat will break down and will let the matt fall into place ,then cut some roving and add this over the glass for strenth when this is dry the pipe wont move remove the bracing and throw some glass on the outside make her pretty ,after the glass is cured inside place anothe 5 layers when dried sand and seal with some gelcoat with wax all water will flow straight through with having to worry about leaks

4. Jackie

Jackie Junior Member

On my way

Toot, I went to Henkel Group and they have a product that can work for my problem. Thanks for the product advice. I will considerate it in the future.

Fiberglass Jack, at this time I have the material on hand and can do what you want me to do. I am going to print your instructions and follow them to the tee. Thanks for the detail Jack.

Again thanks Toot,
    Jackie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.