Fiberglass box

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Jackie, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Jackie

Jackie Junior Member

I need some help making a fiberglass box. I want to make the box out of plywood and then hand layup the inside of the box. I need to have a inexpensive way of getting the wood separated from the fiberglass box when the fiberglass cures? I don't want to make a mold and use releasing agents.
    Its a kinda big box 3'x4'x7', This is a one time deal. Is there any cheep way of doing this? Thanks for any help you can. Jackie

2. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

Cheap--->Instead of ply wood use ordinary kitchen self, material the white stuff laminate, normally nothing is needed if it is new an unscratched, for a single quick job, remember the seams would be the place where it sticks, but just hamer the mold apart.

3. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

what kind of finsh do u want , the laminated wood works well but costs$$$, i often use drywall board all u need is a knife to cut it and duct tape to hold it all together for the inside you will want to line it with some mylar use 3m 77 spray glue to stick it down for the corners use some scotch tape to make a nice round corner or use plastersine and a dime to round it off, with mylar u will not have to use wax , i dont know what finsh u want if looks are not that inportant lay up the fiberglass on the outside and finsh with a coat of gelcoat with some wax added to seal and let it dry hard , this way the inside will have the smooth finsh I would go this route if its going to be use as a vessell or tank

4. Jackie

Jackie Junior Member

kitchen self

Thanks for the help. Richard,
    I am not sure what you mean. Are you thinking of the
    Kitchen Cabinet Countertops Laminate countertops? Jackie

5. Jackie

Jackie Junior Member

Jack, It doesn't matter what it looks like. I would like to know more about mylar u ? Whats the cost to cover 100 square feet or so? Where do you suggest I get it on line? Thanks Jackie

6. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

well if your not worred how it looks go to the supermarket and buy some rolls of wax paper its cheap and stick it to the drywall with spray glue just for piece of mind fire a couple of staples in to around the corners and cover with some tape you will not need to wax the paper when the glass is cured u just have to rip the dry wall out and pull the wax paper off this is the cheapest way to make a mould for a one off

7. Jackie

Jackie Junior Member

Jack, I want to thank you and Richard for your help. Jackie

8. Toot

Toot Senior Member

You can also use aluminum tape- the stuff that the hardware stores sell for taping up ductwork. I'm not talking about dcut tape, mind you, but something more like tinfoil with a sticky peel-stick side.

9. Jackie

Jackie Junior Member

Jack and Richard, I am back

I just was told that we have a problem. At the bottom of this fiberglass box off to one side is a 10" pipe that has to be sealed not to leak. We have to cut a hole in our new fiberglass box and then seal around the pipe. The pipe is a rusted cast or steel pipe. We need a good bond from fiberglass to this rusted steel? This pipe is about 3/16 thick so we can grind to clean it up.
    Jackie

10. Jackie

Jackie Junior Member

aluminum tape

Toot,
    I recieved aluminum tape as a posible use, Thanks Jackie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.