expanded polystyrene?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by millrtim247, May 12, 2006.

1. millrtim247

millrtim247 millrtim247

Yeah hi. Want to know if this will work. Looking for a fun project. My last was a floating raft out of empty Keg shells (The Cubana 8.) my buddy Has an A/C biz and wants to be involved on this one. So I brainstormed on what we could make with what was in his shop. He has plenty of Styro foam sheeting 2" thick, spray adhesive, Duct Tape and Mastic. If we sandwich Styro foam planks to gether with spray adhesive and put a peice of plywood on top and stringers on top and bottom with aluminum bolts pulling together to form a pontoon, make another and join with a deck will it allow the Two of us, small dog, cooler full of "refreshments" and some hot chicks to pole out to a small party island about 100 yards away? I have a whaler a party boat, and the cubana 8 (wich was a big hit) But we like trying fun things and making an entrance. Trust me. poling a 13' styro foam cat and beaching it between a Contender and a Lightnig are just my style.
    Here is a pic. Not to scale of course. wnat to make the pontoons 2'x2'x13'

2. millrtim247

millrtim247 millrtim247

woops heres the pic[​IMG]

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

What you describe is not uncommon in Ontario cottage country. Dirt cheap, way cool and it works great.
    Ditch the spray adhesive though. It'll fall apart pretty quickly and is not particularly good for the water when it does. If you use good hefty wood pieces for the top stringer and cross-beams, the structure should hold up fine. I'd use 8-foot cross beams, you want it wide enough to be stable but not so wide as to be awkward.
    This will be a calm-water-only craft. Make sure all your passengers can swim.
    To keep the BEvERages cold, you might consider embedding a cooler compartment in the deck, so it's shaded by the deck and near the cool water.
    The hot chicks will require a comfortable sunpad. You might consider a nice Italian leather sofa for this.;)

4. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

good for pools or back river toilet stand :) Here in Asia they use logs that is cast away in river.

Can I try to be a sofa? :)

5. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Welly -

I didn't know you were Italian!
    I'm guessing marshmat was applying for the job. ;)

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Wear your lifejackets

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

As you ought to be doing all the time in ANY small boat. :)

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You need a small fleet of these. Sam

Attached Files:

9. millrtim247

millrtim247 millrtim247

samsam, I like. I like a lot!

As far as life jackets, we have a rubbermaid sealable tub with a couple type ones, a throwable, whistle, flare pack and our cell phones. We take this tub whenever we something stupid like this. just in case someone wants to give us a hard time. I'm in FL so we party on this isle all year long just about. We know the sherif, cop, fish and game, marine patrol and the coasties by name. We were going to get this thing wet next weekend but it's memeorial day (the biggest boating weekend of the year.) It's a real zoo on the water and we'd be awefully stupid to push out into all that boating traffic. There will be no couch so the ladies will just have to sit on my face..er...I mean lap.
    as far as a cooler would go. The water down here wouldn't cool off a lit cigarette! Which reminds me, I should post a pic of my famous cooler. It's the biggest cooler that Igloo makes. We call it the coffin. becouse it looks like a child's coffin. I could probably hide in it. We have grabbed on and swam out before. Swiming out to Shell Isalnd with a cooler full of beer just about garuntees a ride back to the beach.
    It should take no longer than an hour and a half to put this thing together. Pics will be posted.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.