efficient 10m displacement powercat (build thread)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by groper, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Very nice work indeed! Have you had a chance to sea trial much? Curious about actual performance versus design....

2. khaos

khaos Infusion Padawan

It sits nice and level as planned too. She have fuel and water on board yet?

Its very exciting to see it in the water! :D

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I don't think that is Gropers boat, he pulled off to work on somebody else's.

4. groper

groper Senior Member

Haha, this is not the boat I designed and have been building this last 2 years. This is another cat we bought recently as the price was right. It's an oram 39c built in balsa sandwich (duflex). I won't be spending any time on my design until this oram is finished.

5. khaos

khaos Infusion Padawan

:( So your saying there is no Easter bunny? ;)

6. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Nice work!

7. groper

groper Senior Member

Kitchen revamp still in progress... Well the galley bench top turned out better than I expected... Still needs the edge trims fixed, and clear coat over it to finish it off. Took me ages to strip plank it :p

Ordered the drawers today from the cabinet maker. Busy reinforcing the rear beam ready for sail track. Added a winch pad also. Will get around to doing the floors last I think, too much risk of ruining it whilst still working on the rest of it. Found some second hand winches, trying to decide whether I should put the winches for the headsail on the roof or lead the sheets back to the cockpit.... Leaning towards the roof at this point... Rig should be here any day now, will start working on that as soon as it arrives and get it stepped. Got some great quotes for a square top main and roller furled headsail both done in dyneema taped Dacron. I'll get some more pics then, stay tuned :)

[​IMG]

8. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

That's going to look really nice Groper!

9. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Looks great groper! Did you just rout out some channels and fill w/ polysulfide? How did you do the mitres?

10. groper

groper Senior Member

It was highly technical process charley... Hope you can follow...

First I had to find some masking tape, then a scalpel, and then a rattle can of Matt black paint.... This was all required before I could begin.

Once I had all this stuff on hand, I proceeded to mitre the perimeter with a scalpel so it didn't leave any rough edges as a standard circular saw blade just wouldn't be neat enough. All of the infill planks had to be marked out so the spacing were as even as possible. The masking tape came in handy for the marking out. Once I was ready to plank it, a rattle can of Matt black paint helped to acheive clean edges, once painted, pulled off the masking tape, and viola! The lovely peice of marine ply did the rest... :d:p:p:D:cool:

Like I said, it took ages... :p

11. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

Ah. So it's all in the lighting and the mascara:D

12. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

That cat would seem to be a little familiar................................................

13. groper

groper Senior Member

Its getting less and less familiar everyday tho westie :)

moved the helm station back to the cockpit and the beefy mast compression post is now where it originally was...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont think i showed anyone the dramas i had with the anchor winch... When it was originally installed, the bolt holes were never sealed up with epoxy and the winch was not positioned over the plywood insert in the deck where the balsa was decored... this was the result when i discovered how far the moisture had travelled through the balsa deck...

[​IMG]

its all fixed up now, recored with coosa board and airex, glassed over and windlass reinstalled... but the bright white new paint hasnt blended in with the rest of the deck, i think ill give it some time and eventually i hope i fades to the same colour...

Winch pads are in for the mainsheet, genoa winches on the roof and the reinfocements for the genoa tracks also on the roof. I think im on track for xmas holidays, the supplier of the rig has been delayed until the end of the month... 15m aluminium mast with dynex dux standing rigging, should be nice and light...

Have to start thinking about cleaning up soon so i can start on the floors, and then get all the shiney bits bolted down...

14. LP

LP Flying Boatman

You had me fooled until I read this and had a really close look. Gives me an idea for the cabin floor, but any finish I put down is going to make it slippery when wet. It looks great. It all does. :cool::cool:

15. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I assume you can accounted for the fact the compression pillar is now a short section, rather than a continuous member?...or does the pillar continue above and below?... Just curious

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.