efficient 10m displacement powercat (build thread)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by groper, Apr 15, 2012.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Where is that sealed buoyancy compartment located?

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Gotta love packing tape, works on poly too:cool:
    Bonding flanges.... Bog, words to celebrate!
    Just started a bench top plug/mold, 2420 x 640 with a 52mm roll front edge, for solid glass, will use as topside stringers(as designed with uni cap to downward return) & galley etc, planning to have a go maybe at infusion for the parts.

Looking good Groper.
    Jeff.

3. groper

groper Senior Member

These compartments are up the front Jorge... between the 1st and 2nd watertight bulkheads.... After the topsides is bonded into position (next thing to do) then i can go about shaping the bows forward of the 1st bulkhead.

Im still a bit unsure about which way to go with the bows... i could either solid foam glassed around the outside only to form a very thick sandwich panel structure. Or else i could continue with a hollow bow, divinycell sandwich core structure built like everything else... have to do it in 2 halves, glassed inside first before bonding together and onto the 1st bulkhead, then glassing the outsides last.... decisions, decisions...

4. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I jave a lot to learn about boats I'm afraid lol, this all sounds like Chinese, but looking great!! ))

5. groper

groper Senior Member

Topsides 90% fair... and the biggest cyclone australia has seen in decades, is heading straight for us :(

[​IMG]

6. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Fill her up with water so she does not blow away. I hope you and your boat will come through OK.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Worrying time, hopefully it crosses further to the north than the populated areas, as currently predicted.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

There are eerie similarities between this cyclone's predicted strength and predicted area of landfall and this:

On 4 March 1899, a category 5
    cyclone hit Bathurst Bay with winds reaching 260 km per hour. A
    tsunami of 14.6 m swept inland for 5 km. A 13 m wave surge at Ninian Bay adjacent to Barrow Point (30 km south of Bathurst Bay) extended inland for 3-5 km. The
    cyclone crossed the coast at Princess Charlotte Bay.
    Barometer read at 914 hPa in the eye. 55 schooners or other large vessels were lost. 55 luggers were lost and 12 badly damaged. 42 other vessels were wrecked and 12 badly damaged. There was a huge
    storm surge of 14.6m on Barrow Point. On Flinders Island porpoises were found 15m up on the cliffs.

The
    cyclone is regarded as the worst known natural disaster, in terms of loss of human lives, in Australian European history. In all more than 307 lives were lost from the effects of a severe tropical
    cyclone.

The search steamer White Star reached Hannah Islands on Friday 10 March and searched the area. They found that between Hannah Islands and Bewick Island everything in the shape of trees and grass had been swept clean and marked the impact zone of the hurricane. In the salvage operations it was found that all the boats discovered close to the shore had their masts carried away just above the decks . From this it would appear that the boats had been rolled over and over along the bottom. The force of the waves must have been tremendous to turn the boats over and over and it is fortunate that the bottom of the sea at that place was composed of mud, otherwise the boats would have been chafed to pieces. Walking along the shore southwest from Cape Melville there was much evidence of damage. About 2 miles from the Cape the wreckage was most plentiful and in some cases a quarter of a mile inland from the seashore.

The losses included 5 large vessels totally lost, 2 wrecked but refloated, 1 dismasted, 35 diving boats totally lost; 19 swimming boats totally lost; 12 diving boats refloated; 307 lives lost from the Pearling fleet.

9. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Cyclones already!! She is looking GREAT!!

10. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

Agree, with the huge windage from the flat sides, it is going to get blow away.
    i'd pour some concrete footings and cable strap it down too.

11. groper

groper Senior Member

Well im sorry to say, that the build of this catamaran is in hiatus again. Not for any ill reason, but simply because we have another catamaran to work on, and this ones already in the water!

Heres a little sneak peek of what we have done so far :D

Its a Bob Oram 39C sailing cat...

[​IMG]

Should get some paint on her soon enough, and theres more to show down below once we clear some of the mess we have made :)

12. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Groper,
    seems your human..... & easily distracted;) too, just a sneak peek... show us the "outside"... seems familiar, to me. congrats on the boat/s.

Although I'm currently distracted by the corpulent Clive Palmer..... on the telly, disgusting, Aus politics ***k me drunk... ***ts

Apologies from Jeff.

13. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Does it look better yet? LOL

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Groper, you do good work-most impressive job you've done!

15. groper

groper Senior Member

I think so Jim ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to build a compression post and what not to step the mast next...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.