efficient 10m displacement powercat (build thread)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by groper, Apr 15, 2012.

1. khaos

khaos Infusion Padawan

single side Infusion groove or double? 19mm? Looking at the image it looks like its knife cut rather than a saw kerf. Is that the case? Did you choose this over a double cut for weight reasons?

Thanks for all your time.

Looking forward to getting it moving I have finished the contract that was eating my soul and all my free time. Thank God. So of course it's getting cold again and I will have to move my efforts into the attached garage. Making the new mold after ruining the last one. Trying to stay married with the epoxy fumes. :rolleyes:

2. groper

groper Senior Member

No it had saw cuts about 2mm x 2mm on one side only, perforations allow resin to tool side... double cut allows it to contour in curved molds etc. If used flat, it probably wouldnt flow the resin as far or as fast...

3. khaos

khaos Infusion Padawan

Thanks for a fast answer. :)

4. groper

groper Senior Member

Jim,

This shows the infusion setup using the molding strip feedline;

[​IMG]

Under the bag you can see the strip molding on top as the resin feeder, under that i have some plastic gutter guard mesh - home depot again no doubt - then under that i have the flow media. This setup leaves me with no resin line print on the job.

This is the topsides of my boat being infused btw, its already filled and waiting cure...

5. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

LOL, I'm using 4 layers of window screen!

6. groper

groper Senior Member

Topsides offered up and side windows are installed... who needs xmas holidays when there are boats to be built :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. masalai

masalai masalai

Great work Groper, I am constrained 'till after New Year, Best wishes to you and I will be down soon - Happy building...

8. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Looking good!

9. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Yup, looking good indeed!

10. groper

groper Senior Member

The joys of boat building, outdoors, in the tropics...:mad: a cyclone is bearing down on us again and so the tarp had to be stripped off and the boat made water tight. No easy feat as the front half of the topsides is not glued in place yet, so i had to gap the seams with silicon to stop the water from flowing off the deck and into the boat, filling it up. I also had to glue on a peice of plywood with more silicon where the front window is to be installed - again to prevent water pouring into the cabin. All this took place in the torrential pouring rain this afternoon, and just in this short amount of time it took to seal it up, several hundred litres of water collected in the hulls...

The flush hatches and gutters seems to be working well, keeping the compartments below dry... Not far away from starting painting the inside saloon area, but i want to do a few more things before getting pics...

Hopefully the winds will not get too strong over the next couple of days...

Well at least it was an effective way of washing off all the dust which had collected all over her :)

[​IMG]

11. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

She is looking BIG ))

What kind of wind speed does a cyclone bring down there

12. groper

groper Senior Member

Yeah it's bigger than most expect... It's 3.2 meters tall from keel to roofline. Nearly 7 foot headroom inside the saloon :)

Luckily they are only predicting a category 1 storm this time, so winds upto 70knots... My poor little hoop house is only rated to about 30kts before things start to break :(

13. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Good luck through the winds, tie her down good !!!!

14. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Yep, that's what I was thinking, don't want it to debut as a flying boat. :D
    Problem is, what do you anchor it to, there is a lot of windage there to counter.

15. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Hope things dont get too serious for you Groper, but if they do simplest way to anchor down is to deliberatly fill the hulls with water. Pump out later or simply drill a hole to drain.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.