efficient 10m displacement powercat (build thread)

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by groper, Apr 15, 2012.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

All has been quiet for some time - Are you OK, How is the build progressing?

2. groper

groper Senior Member

Have been in hiatus for the wet season mate, just put the tarp back up last weekend and ready to start building again...

3. MantaRay

MantaRay Junior Member

Thanks for linking me here groper, looks like an informative thread.

All the best on your building journey.

4. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I look forward to seeing the next phase of the build.

I just read the design thread too. Did you end up staying with the flat hull sections with immersed transom as talked about in that thread?

5. groper

groper Senior Member

Yes mate, its a U shape section with a flat bottom, ie, a high block coefficient section. The transom is fully immersed and the same full section. There will be some transom drag associated with this, but the hull was designed to cruise at 20kts so the water will break clean from it and theres a reduction in wetted area as opposed to a kayak shape displacement hull better suited to lower speeds. The hull draws 400mm at maximum displacement of 4 tonnes, so i have a maximum immersed transom depth of 400mm, with light loads it should be closer to 300mm, should also get less sinkage without a turned up run to the transom...

Havnt done much since the last pics, but the cabin has started to take shape, thinking about the roof next followed by the side walls and windsreen after that...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and i changed the cabin design (again) too... the one im actually going to run with is this one;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Nice. Got any more renderings of the cabin at different angles? Its a bit hard to see in those shots.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Be patient, and let the man build - He also has a need for a day job for sustenance too sheesh you spectators seem to demand everything yesterday, enjoy the process and learn what is to be learnt. Genious is a thoughtful process...

Keep going at your pace groper - you deserve accolades not distractions...

8. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Whoa man! Have a beer or something.

I have given Groper nothing but accolades all over the net, which he well deserves. This is my favorite boat build ATM and I like sailing boats!

If it were me I would be happy to know how many people are being supportive and love the project. I don't want groper to waste time with posts just for me. But the fact he has multiple build threads on various forums means he wants to share this experience with others and probably does not require moderation from you.

9. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

I'm sure he knows he doesn't have to stop work and answer internet questions until he wants to.
    Amazing thread Groper.

1 person likes this.
  10. masalai

masalai masalai

It is an superb boat being built by an AMAZING man who is a true friend, and lives the ideal of supporting others - (me when I had a broken rudder), as a true friend and fellow boatie, and is followed with great respect & interest by some of the best in the world...

Sorry if I came over as a bit "over the top"...

11. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I have never met Groper in person, however without having done that I can agree on the bolded just by reading his threads.

I read the posts on the rudder infusion. I didn't know that was you. Good on Groper for helping out :)

12. groper

groper Senior Member

ok peeps, no need to carry on...

Dennis, the only other rendering i have of the new cabin is the one below, its not correct where the back of the cabin wall meets the catwalk, i couldnt be bothered mucking around with the drawing as i will just freehand it on the boat to what looks right with a slight sweep back most likely... also, it looks like the bows will end up slightly more plumb rather than reversed back as much as shown as i think it will be too difficult to twist the topside panels enough to get such a reverse rake, there just too stiff...

[​IMG]

13. groper

groper Senior Member

i made the rear beam top cap today...

Started with the 20mm divinycell cut slightly oversize, then routed a rebate into the edge that sits atop the main rear bulkhead. This rebate was filled with multiple layers of 1000gsm uni directional tape to form a tension/compression cap, in addition to the biax laminate which covers the entire panel. i took a few pics to show what i was doing;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After laying it up, it was infused as per normal... the whole thing was clamped off and curing before i had lunch.... spent the rest of the afternoon sanding various places in the boat.... the rest of the rear beam is already ready to go, just have to make a few bonding angles and glue this top on...

[​IMG]

14. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Cabin looks great. Awesome work as usual. Was the rebate with extra uni "just cause you could" or did you determine it needed extra strength?

15. groper

groper Senior Member

well it could have been done without the uni if i didnt want to cut a bunch of holes in the top panel... i want to make some of the compartment in the rear beam into live bait tanks, insulated boxs for bait or beer, and hold some fishing tackle drawers etc.... so with a bunch of holes and hinged lids etc, it doesnt leave much continuous laminate intact, so i made the uni top cap to handle the tension/compression load outright, and ignore the rest of the panel... the rest of the rear box beam framing will only hold it in column and prevent the whole thing from buckling etc

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.