difference between offshore and fresh water

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by crane, Jun 7, 2005.

1. crane

crane New Member

Hello this is my first time posting and i am very new to all of this. But i do have one question i can't seem to find the answer to.
    i was thinking about purchasing a kit and putting it together but was wondering if an 18 foot boat can be used for offshore fishing. I mean does it have to be a certain depth? (the hull). when i look at the pictures of some of the boats that they sell as kits. the boat sitting in freshwater looks more shallow then the same boat sitting inthe ocean.( the hull looks deeper). I don't know maybe its me but any help would be appreciated thanks.
    crane

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Actually, the same boat will float slightly higher in saltwater than freshwater.
    Specific gravity of freshwater = 1000kg per cubic meter and seawater about 1024kg per cube meter

3. crane

crane New Member

Wow! thank you
    i knew i wasn't going crazy.
    thanks for the quick responce
    crane

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.