Custom Engine mounting

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by pizalm, Jan 28, 2005.

1. pizalm

pizalm New Member

Hi, I'm new here and have a few questions about putting an egine in a boat.
    The boat is a 14ish foot fibreglass tank from the 70's. We found it at the dump and wanted a project so we hauled it back to our cabin. I want to put a car engine in it and sort of make it a hot rod. The engine i want use is a honda civic engine or something similar.

The questions I have are, how would I mount the engine? How can I put the driveshaft through the floor and into the water safely?(Like a ski boat) Would a the transmission be useful to keep accelerating or would it not work well?
    I'll have access to plenty of resources and whatnot so just tell me what I need to do,

This is a helluva first post but I guess i gotta start somewhere. So thanks for any help and if I'm at the wrong place would someone please point me in the right direction. :cool:

2. decay21450

decay21450 Guest

Safety first! There's a wealth of information here about marinizing auto engines with the fuel and electrical safety considerations. Don't go any further until you read and accept these conditions. Here in Michigan we have people who race across the water at 80 mph. We call them bass fishermen.

3. Semloh

Semloh Junior Member

First thing u do is head on down to Home Depot. Get some 3/4" plywood and 1/2" all thread rod.

Screw the plywood to the hull with some long sheetrock screws. Mount that civic engine on the plywood.

Next drill a hole in the transom and put the rod thru the hole and weld it to the driveshaft of the motor. Find a prop that looks about the right size and weld it to the rod.

Then get some beer and five of your buddies and head to the lake.

Then sit on the bank drink beer and have a good laugh at your boat.

No really, it's not worth doing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.