Converting a small boat to a trimaran

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by endorphinjunkie, Apr 22, 2005.

1. endorphinjunkie

endorphinjunkie New Member

Hi, everyone!

I would like to convert my old one design Texas Tornado 5.0 meter to a trimaran. It is a planing hull with less that three hundred lbs displacement. I have some wood working skills and would like to build the amas. My question is what kind of design should the amas be? Should they be skinny and straight to easily cut throught the waves? Should they match the hull shape and be designed for planing? From my initial reading here I see the ratio of L/B should be between 1.5 and 1.0. It surprised me when I found out that the displacement of each ama should be equal or more of the main hull displacement. I am a mathematican so don't be afraid to post formulae.

Thanks in advanced.

Michael :)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

B/L should be in th 10-15 range.

3. Delane

Delane Senior Member

Hello,

I too am planning to convert a J24 with Hobie 20 hulls. First I wouldn't go to the trouble of building hull when some type of already built cat hulls will probably work. I'm shocked too about the displacement % needed for the amas. See my discussion going in the Sailing area, and take a look at the similar threads that have some interesting links (Turner Link)

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Don't forget, if your ama doesn't have enough floatation, and you press it down into the water hard enough, your boat will trip on it and make some quite spectacular cart-wheels, provided you have sufficient power. (Wich is the idea with multi-hulls to begin with)

Yokebutt.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.