C-flex "one-off" fiberglass construction

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Troutcatcher, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Troutcatcher

Troutcatcher Junior Member

Is there anyone out there that has some experience with building from c-flex?? With respect to amateur construction, does this building method offer any advantages compared to one-off foam core sandwich??

2. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Bead and Cove Core-Cell is hard to beat!

3. Troutcatcher

"how to" fiberglass video/dvd

Happy New Year!!!

I am interested in "one-off" fiberglass boatbuilding methods. We all got to start somewhere.........Does anybody know where I can obtain a "how to" video or dvd describing either some variation of the "foam core sandwich" or "c-flex" methods????

Thans in advance,
    Best regards

JS
    Reykjavik
    ICELAND

4. CET

CET Senior Member

There are books and videos available on the topic of uing C-flex. I believe they were produced by the company that makes C-flex. I don't know the name of the company but if you track it down I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

5. Nels Tomlinson

Nels Tomlinson Junior Member

Many years ago I participated in a boat building class in which we built a small catboat using cflex and polyester resin. The boat is still afloat, and I think it has never had a blister, despite being in the water full time for two decades.

I think that cflex gives you a rather resin-rich hull, so you don't get quite the same strength-to-weight ratio that you could with another sort of glass. Backyard layup usually seems to make for a resin-rich hull, anyway, so I'm not sure it makes sense to go with a product which reinforces that.

If I were to try it again, I'd try glass and epoxy over strip planking.

Nels

6. Troutcatcher

C-flex

CET,

A video on construction with c-flex is available from Sintes Fiberglass Designs, Louisiana..........This company also has available frame kits for "one-off" fiberglass boats constructed this way. One beautiful design particularly worth mentioning is the "Sportsman 18" Carolina sportfisher-type boat with smooth, elegant lines.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.