Building a very cheap Pontoon Boat ?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by bernhardusa, Sep 16, 2007.

1. bernhardusa

bernhardusa Junior Member

Hello friends !

This is my first post here, and I wanted to ask all of you, one question:

How can I build my own Pontoon Boat, as cheap as possible ?

I know this questions isn't very easy to answer, and it includes several sub-questions. I was looking for some tutorials about that, ideas, plans, and general informations - so I would have an idea about the materials, the opertunities, the time frame, the equipment I do need and much more.

Is there any guide or tutorial that describes this way ?
    Videos, CD's or any book I can buy to understand the process ?

How much do you think would it coast, to build the own Pontoon boat, without the motor ?

Hmm, about the size, I only know, that it would be great, if 7 adult persons, can be on board (maximum).....

ok, so long so good, thank you very much for every little help and suggestions,
    I really appreciate that,

bernhard

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Firstly, welcome aboard bd.net :)
    "As cheap as possible" brings to mind an old "Red Green's Handyman Corner" in which a one-person pontoon boat, complete with reclining green La-Z-Boy helm chair, was built out of furnace ducts and garage sale junk. The seaworthiness of such a craft is of course questionable at best, and I can only imagine the looks you'd get from the Coast Guard patrols.
    For 7 people in a typical pontoon boat I think you'd be looking at 5.5 to 6 metres long, about 18 feet.
    How handy are you with metal/wood working? And what kind of a tradeoff between seaworthy, cheap, and looks-good vs. looks-like-garbage are you thinking of?

3. bernhardusa

bernhardusa Junior Member

Thank you for your reply.

Hmm, well, let me say, without the motor, between 2.000 and 3.000 USD.
    I could find alos some Kit's but don't know how much it cost, couldn't find any prices online...

I am not sure, I also could find some older Pontoon boats, selling about 3.000 USD, but I don't know what makes more work, and more sense...

I don't need a very cool looking pontoon boat, it should only fit for the purpose, so swim on a calm lake, not really fast, and bring me from one point to another with some friends of mine....

thx a lot,
    bernhard

4. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Try these guys.

http://www.u-fabboats.com/

You can pick and choose what you need (afford) to get you going then add options later. They have US dealers too. No pricing on their site (that I could find) so you'd have to call or locate one of the US dealers.

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member